Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: My first build: DTL-1

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Thanks for that McCreed, I've had my eye out for one of those for a while.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Well at least bridge looks nicely centred using the middle mounting screw.

Are you using the bridge as a template when you start your holes?
    Not quite, and that probably contributed to the mess I made of it -- with the bridge in place, I used a small drill bit to make a hole of a mil or so depth in the centre of the hole in the bridge, and then used that as a starting point for drilling when the bridge was off. I must have somehow drifted from there.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Also, if you think you may do another build, another small but worthwhile investment maybe a portable drill guide (if a drill press is not a practical option). And I'm sure you'd find other uses for it too.

There are heaps of different ones available but I just grabbed the first one I found in a google search. There are also DIY options as well. Check out U-toob...

Here's an Amazon AU one I found: Portable Drill Guide
    That does look useful -- if the next time, using just hand tools, doesn't work out, then that's the next step...

Another small but good investment that is very handy for these kinds of jobs, is a set of Transfer Punches.

They're calibrated steel punches made specifically for transferring the centre of an existing hole to another piece of material (wood, steel etc). They're great for accurately marking screw holes in the heel of a neck from a body.

Again, I've just linked an Amazon page that shows them. You can get them lots of other places too.
    Small investment, big benefit...

Transfer Punch Set
    Last edited by McCreed; 14-03-2020 at 03:30 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Why are all the transfer punch sets that I can find all Imperial? The vast majority of guitar-based holes (at least on non-US guitars) are going to be metric. Obviously you can get pretty close with an Imperial set, but the perfectionist in me wants a 3mm hole to use a 3mm transfer punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Why are all the transfer punch sets that I can find all Imperial? The vast majority of guitar-based holes (at least on non-US guitars) are going to be metric. Obviously you can get pretty close with an Imperial set, but the perfectionist in me wants a 3mm hole to use a 3mm transfer punch.
    A set of metric brad-point bits would double as a transfer punch

I did a quick search on eBay UK and found metric sets as well.

A set of metric brad-point bits would double as a transfer punch
    That's true but I find the "dimple" left by a transfer punch just a little more true than the flat shape of a brad point (even twisting it). I know we're not talking about micro-surgery here, but I'm a bit OCD with this stuff

Also if using with steel, I wouldn't want to tap the tip of my good brad point bits into it with a hammer.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I've found some metric sets in the UK that aren't sold on Amazon. I closed my eBay account some years back and don't want to start a new one. No immediate need for them, so will wait until there is before ordering.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast