Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: My first build: DTL-1

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gpjt View Post

I discovered the other day that if I take a photo on my phone, then send it to myself using the Telegram chat app, I can download it using their desktop app on my computer -- and when I do that, it's already resized to a format that just uploads to the forums without any messing around. So expect loads more photos going forward...
    Keep them coming. You'll find that you get more responses when there are pics in the post. We all like to see whats going on and its often easier than trying to explain.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Will definitely keep the pics coming.

Last night as I was dozing off I found myself considering using a sharp knife to try make scratches in the filler to continue the grain pattern. I think I may have a problem...

Anyway, the new wood fillers have arrived -- will see if they're a better colour match, and try not to obsess too much about this detail

Its when you carve an artificial grain and then fill it with grain filler that you're really losing it...
    If you're going to try mixing fillers for a colour match, don't forget to do some experiments so you can make an estimate of how much it changes colour when it dries. And maybe even more important how much it changes colour with whatever finish you are going to put on top of it.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Its when you carve an artificial grain and then fill it with grain filler that you're really losing it...
    It's probably only a small step from where I am to that level of madness

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    If you're going to try mixing fillers for a colour match, don't forget to do some experiments so you can make an estimate of how much it changes colour when it dries. And maybe even more important how much it changes colour with whatever finish you are going to put on top of it.
    Yup, definitely -- I'm using an offcut from the headstock and filling holes in that, then applying the finish on top.

5. Liked by: JimC

This evening's woodfiller auditions:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2020-03-04_00-09-24.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	34015

They both smell truly vile. My other half just came into the room where I'd used them and asked whether I'd just used the loo and if so, what on earth I'd eaten for lunch.
    Last edited by gpjt; 04-03-2020 at 07:16 AM.

At least you can now leave a container of woodfiller in the loo and blame that for the smell in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    At least you can now leave a container of woodfiller in the loo and blame that for the smell in future.
    That's an excellent plan!

So, after drying, both fillers are pretty much invisible, with the Osmo doing best:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2020-03-04_22-18-00.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	34019

(It's visible if you look very very closely.)

Early indications with the finish on are less good, though -- both are showing up but the Brummer less so. Will wait for the finish to dry before coming to a conclusion, though.

Unfortunately, how the filler takes the finish (absorbs it) is always going to be the deciding factor in the end result. (as you've discovered)

Another alternative might be trying a "furniture repair crayon". (I think Simon mentioned this earlier)
    The ones to use would be the "synthetic" wax type, NOT the bees wax type. They come in a range of colours for timber matching.

I haven't used them personally but I've read numerous threads about them. As I understand it, because they are synthetic, they will take a coating (lacquer, poly etc) but because they are "wax" it doesn't soak in to the filler and change it's colour.

I will reiterate that I have not used this method, only read about and seen videos about it. Could be worth a try.
    Then again, this could be the beginning of that rabbit hole I mentioned a few post back

I don't know if TimberMate is available in the UK, but that's one brand that makes the synthetic crayons.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

You can get Timbermate, but it's normally very expensive. But you can certainly get touch-up crayons easily n the UK from Amazon (I've got some somewhere but never used them), though I'm not sure about whether mine are beeswax or synthetic.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast