Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: H-H-H with coil split

H-H-H with coil split

After searching the net for weeks, I cannot find what I would like to achieve with my new build PB Strat.

I have 3 'hotrail'-type humbuckers (Vanson, if it matters), a push-pull Volume, a push-pull Tone, a DPDT toggle and a 5-way Superswitch to wire up to achieve the maximum variety of tones.

I am looking to get the best of a LP/SG set of HB tones without losing the classic 2- and 4-position Strat 'quack', and a nice single-coil tone from each.

I realise I may have over-specified the hardware stuff, but most of it has been acquired over the years.

Can anyone suggest a nice wiring diagram which gives the versatility I am looking for, please?

I'm trying out an experimental setup in my HSH Squier that has Tone, Volume and three toggle switches. The toggle switches are DPDT centre off, and for the humbuckers they are humbucking/off/coils tap/single coil, and for the pickup in the middle its wired in phase/off/out of phase. I'm making pickguard changes as well though, and I haven't got to play with it much. I thought a lot about combinations involving 5 way, push pull pots etc, but they seemed to get royally complicated and yet quite inflexible. Also the miniature toggles are quite cheap!
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

I have a Strat build that uses the full compliment of SD rails.... SD-HR in the bridge, SD-VR in the middle, and SD-CR in the neck....
    Used the following wiring diagram for the basics

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring...ne,5-way-blade

Elsewhere on the SD site I found a version that switches all 3 PU's to single coils using one pull/push switch... which I ultimately used, but can't find right now....

I really can't find anything on Vanson pickups apart form the fact they are sold on eBay and Amazon. But no active web site, which I find odd. It doesn't really help with suggesting suitable options. Coil splits per pickup, yes, maybe a switch to bring in the neck pickup so you can get a neck + bridge combination and maybe have the neck pickup phase-reversible as well. But I think you'll be better off with a standard-5 way switch than the superswitch. You can have too many options.

But I'd also suggest that as there are no bridge only, or middle + neck versions versions, (or any cool rail versions), that the middle and neck output will significantly overpower the bridge pickup output. Whilst they say it's suitable for all positions, it would more lend itself to just the bridge position with hot single coils in the mid + neck positions. Maybe look elsewhere for a set that will be more balanced when installed?

After mucho research, I think I have decided what I would like for a first try with this.

Neck pup via PushPull to give series/coilsplit south
    Middle via DPDT to give series/split/parallel
    Bridge via PushPull to give series/coilsplit north

Outputs to 5-way superswitch (which I think I don't actually need, but it's the only working one I've got) and master volume/master tone.

Is anyone able to put that lot together as I can only visualize individual parts and am not clever enough to put it together as a whole!
    Seymour Duncan colour codes would be a bonus...

Many thanks, chaps and chapesses. I'm keen to get plucking.

(Edit to change pickup colour code request).
    Last edited by littleredrooster; 26-01-2020 at 09:50 PM.

N and B split are simple enough. Not sure what you mean for middle. A DPDT is conventionally a two position switch. Are you aiming for a 3 position switch to give you the pickup itself series wired/parallel wired/single coil? Or are you talking about series parallel vis a visdifferent pickups?
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    N and B split are simple enough. Not sure what you mean for middle. A DPDT is conventionally a two position switch. Are you aiming for a 3 position switch to give you the pickup itself series wired/parallel wired/single coil? Or are you talking about series parallel vis a visdifferent pickups?
    Middle pup only, wired via a DPDT 3-position on-on-on switch (which I have somewhere in a 'safe' place...), as detailed on the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram site.
    This is to address an issue which Simon mentioned above, that the middle pup needs to be modulated to match the bridge and this may (may...) just help before I lash out more money on different pickups. It's all a learning curve for me

Appreciate if you can help with a schematic.

I make it something like this. What does the panel think?
    There are a lot of gotchas wiring up that on-on-on switch though.
    I think I'd bite the bullet and shell out for a plain blade switch and keep that super switch in the drawer. Seems an awful waste, and I bet its a pain to solder up - at least with eyes like mine now are...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pb-hhh-strat.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	33454
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Woo-hoo! Thanks, Jim - looks good. Standard switch now ordered, along with another capacitor which I seem to have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by littleredrooster View Post
    Woo-hoo! Thanks, Jim - looks good.
    But is it correct? I took a reasonable amount of care, so I hope its OK. I spent some time wondering why I couldn't make sense of the centre position until I figured out the difference between an on on on switch and a centre on switch!
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast