Thread: Extremely muddy humbuckers

Extremely muddy humbuckers

So I have finished my Tdl-7
    However my tone is extremely muddy on all pickups like it is playing through a pillow.
    The pickup selector is working as it should but but tone nobs work for one pickup.
    It has the les Paul type configuration.
    Can wiring the pickup to the wrong post on the volume pots do this?
    I am pulling it apart as we speak to try fix the problem

I have the black wire from the pickups wired to the same post on the volume pot that goes to the tone knob. Should it be wired to the one that goes to the pickup selector?

It should be wired like this https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co...m4Pot%20v5.pdf

(pickups shown are the single wire type but the black wire on your 4-wire pickups is still the signal wire and the green+bare wire goes to ground on the back of a pot).

Can you post a pic of your current wiring arrangement?

It is wired exactly like that image but for some reason it has 3 volume knobs and one tone knob. Tone for the neck pickup is acting like
    A volume knob. And when the pickup selector I a in the bridge position it turns the neck pickup up and down. And the neck pickup is never fully off unless all volumes are down. I am about to pull it apart for the 3rd time.
    I have every thing wrapped and insulated so nothing can cross

I think I have fixed it. The neck ton pot was earthing out on the copper shielding. Now it is all working as it should. I am just putting it back together for a tone test

A tone pot acting like a volume pot can be a symptom of a short to ground (but can be other things too).
    It will be easier to diagnose the problem if you post clear photos of the wiring. Otherwise we're all just guessing.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Ok crisis everted. It now has crystal clear tone. I am actually quite impressed with its clarity
    I would recommend these guitars to any one. I can’t wait to record some music with it.
    Last edited by Micko; 18-01-2020 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Can you tell us what the problem was?

Posting the problem and solution might help someone else in the future.

Glad you got it sorted and happy with the result!

Sorry mate. I already did about 3 reply’s up.
    The hot wire in the tone bot was earthing out on the copper shielding in the cavity. I turned the pot around a bit and it fixed the problem

Cheers - I missed that!

That problem is more common than you might think in LP style configurations.