Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: christodav's DTL-1 Purple Monster

christodav's DTL-1 Purple Monster

I have been procrastinating over this one for ages. Since building my Daughters kit a couple of years ago, I finally decided to build my own T style. I have already started as you can see. I was really disappointed with the neck initially as I couldn't see any flame as it was described. I had to Tru-oil it to see what it was yet to reveal. I am still a little disappointed, but you can never trust wood coz it is always so unpredictable anyway. The main flame is at either end and it kinda disappears in the middle but as I said, it creates a character. I am not expecting much from the rear of the neck in terms of flame now either, but I expect it now and I am okay with it.

The good news is that the body is REALLY nice and apart from major machine scratches on the top at the end it is pretty flawless. It will sand out not problem.
    My plan is to sand and cut body contours (i know it is a T style but I prefer a belly-cut for comfort), ebony timbermate it, purple leather dye - yes PURPLE and then clear coat. I also want to use an aluminium pickguard.I am not sure if this will have the traditional 2 pickup config or whether I will go Nashville style yet - I will work on that later.

I can't find a picture of what I want it to turn out like as it is a combo of a few, but I do have it clear in my head. Here is a pic for inspiration. However, imagine this, clean and see through ash grain like my offset blue one.

Chris

Starting to see what it is going to look like. I have done the cuts and sanded quite a bit. I still have a fair bit of sanding and grain filling to do before the dye.

Chris

That should look great with a trans-blue finish!

I too have to have the comfort contours on a tele. I don't have a big belly, but that top edge digs into my ribs without one.
    IMO, it's the one design flaw Leo made on the tele. Guess I'm not a purist!

If you haven't already, I'd do a dry fit with the neck in the pocket and bridge screwed on to make sure the scale length is right. Also that there's no conflict with the bridge pickup route. If those bridge mounting holes are from the factory, it's worth double checking. It will save you headaches and heartaches down the road.

Also a good time to do your string-through holes if you're going to do it that way.

Look forward to seeing this progress!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

All good advice.

Yep, going to do a brass block string through using one of Euroa Guitars fine products.
    They are factory holes. I will most likely use a Babicz bridge but I don't have it yet.

Chris

Yep - it seems that whatever t-style kit you buy, the router needs to come out to enlarge that bridge pick-up cavity in the body if you want it to sit a little closer to the pickguard.

Chris

Now we are Nashville style T-type!

With my PBG Ash TL, I ended up doing quite a significant "swimming pool" route in front of the bridge position right up into the neck pickup route.
    This was all about weight relief. The body was HEAVY... I lost roughly a 1/2 pound (>200g) which is actually quite significant in guitar terms.
    I think I finished up at 3.7kg (8 lbs) which isn't too bad, at least manageable.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Yep it has made a big difference.

Some progress

It's difficult to get a nice clear shot on camera, but it is a chocolate company purple right now.

Chris

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast