Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: christodav's DTL-1 Purple Monster

Gloss! Gloss! Gloss!

I'm going to buck the trend and say satin might go really nice with that brushed aluminium scratch plate

I'm normally always gloss, but here, maybe nights in purple satin would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I'm normally always gloss, but here, maybe nights in purple satin would be good.
    You'd never reach the end.

Only have one 'satin' finish under my belt, but discover that the parts that you come in contact with tend to get glossy.

cheers, Mark.

All my satin finished guitars have been polished to a semi-gloss, then contact polishing doesn't become an issue. Also gives them more of an old guitar vibe.

Hmm. I am still going backwards and forwards with the whole gloss vs satin thing. I have actually purchased a few cans of satin clear and I do still have another guitar body that I can trial use it on and if I don't like it, I can always just go back to the Super Cheap Auto stuff on this one.

The Fender noiseless pickups arrived earlier in the week and I am keen to pop them into the offset and shear what they sound like.

I ran out of the thin gluboost on the body before finishing i, so I have to wait another week or so before the new bottle comes. I still have a bit to go on with this weekend like fitting the pickups in the offset, Tru-oiling the neck and sanding the gluboost down on the body. The top and back are pretty close to done but I need to fill and smooth out the sides and edges. It probably only requires half a bottle at most but I will keep going until it is perfectly smooth so the final coats go on nicely.

Thanks everyone - gloss might win this one, but satin purple still looks good as I have a bit of an idea after I sand the glue with 600grit.

Cheers.

Chris

So.......

I am still going with this thing and still slowly sanding and applying the glue to get it all perfect before I spray it.
    Despite what some have suggested, I have purchased clear satin however, I am still not certain if I should stick with it or go back to gloss. LOL.

My sales job has dropped to 30 hours per week from 44 hours now and we are running on 2 shifts - 2 days on and 2 days off in a rotating kind of deal. As my daughter pointed out to me the the other day, " the first day you work is always like a Monday and the second day is like a Friday before another weekend." Unfortunately it is now a bunch less money but hopefully the extra Gov't money should fill most of the gap. Fingers crossed though that none of us in our small team gets the virus. I don't think I have ever washed my hands so much in one day!

I am mainly working on the sides and edges right now as I remember on the last guitar, I failed to get this right and it took some extra work in the final sanding of the top clear. It's not easy with a deep grain ash body or course an even though I filled and sanded quite well, there are still a few areas where the edges are uneven have have to be filled with the glue more.

Anyway, back to it and I'll post a picture or 2 once the body has been sanded ready for its topcoat.

Chris

I haven't really got very far in 3 months, but I have taken a few photos to motivate me. I still have a fair bit of work to do before the final clear. As you can see,I received the bridge from Adam in the post today.

Chris

That's looking pretty sweet even if it's not done yet!

I know it's a bit of an afterthought, but I just noticed the dolphin on the headstock. A reverse headstock would have been cool so you could have made a dorsal fin shape going up!
    Still very cool though! Look forward to seeing it all together and strung up.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

10. Liked by: christodav

Cool idea - maybe next time. My last build has the dolphin as well, although it looks more like a porpoise as I took a bit off it's nose by accident when I was sanding at one stage. LOL

it's all fine filling all the edges etc now so it's the final 10% that takes the longest time.

Chris

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4