Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: christodav's DTL-1 Purple Monster

Thanks! Much appreciated.

That has come along nicely and will really come to life with the clear coat.

If you haven't tried it before, have a go at reversing the control plate.
    The only thing you need to do (apart from physically flipping the plate) is swap the positions of the tone & volume pots.

This puts the volume knob right at the front and allows easier access with your little finger for volume swells or just simple volume adjustment without moving you hand out of the picking position. Pickup switching then becomes a similar feeling to a strat.

I've it done to all the teles I'd had or have. If you don't like it, it's completely reversible. (re-reversible??? )
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Though it normally involves soldering on an existing/pre-wired plate as you can bet that some of the wires will be too short to simply just move the pots and switch around. And on an existing guitar, the pickup wires may not stretch far enough and will need to be extended.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Though it normally involves soldering on an existing/pre-wired plate as you can bet that some of the wires will be too short to simply just move the pots and switch around. And on an existing guitar, the pickup wires may not stretch far enough and will need to be extended.
    True enough, but I was able to do it to my Classic Vibe 50's tele without extending any wires. Could have been a fluke though.

That aside, it's not much work if you're starting from scratch on a new build anyway.

LOL. I was already considering this mod. It is so painful looking at the neck drying next to me as I type along with the body.

I have purchased a set of Fender noiseless Nashville pickups from the US which are due any day now. They will go into the offset blue guitar and the Iron Gear set will come out and go into this one. I did make a huge mistake with the blue guitar in ordering a middle strat type pu and not having it matched correctly in terms of the pole direction. So I will end up with a spare strat type middle pickup unfortunately.

I think I might look at a 4-way reverse plate set-up for this.

I have purchased a set of Fender noiseless Nashville pickups from the US which are due any day now.
    Don't know if you have played FVN's before, but I'm a huge fan of them. Lot's of people bag them, but I think they sound great.
    I have a number of strat sets in my guitars and a set of Gen 4 Noiseless Tele one's in my tele. IMO, the Gen 4's are even better than the Vintage, but I still dig them as well.

I think I might look at a 4-way reverse plate set-up for this.
    If you do the 4 way, you may (not always) need to lengthen the lever switch slot in the control plate.
    The length of the arc of a 4-way is slightly greater than a 3-way and a standard control plate slot can restrict the lever and not allow it to go all the way into positions 1 & 4.

It's not a big job and only requires about 1-1.5mm at each end of the slot, but the trick is not stuffing up the chrome plating while cutting the slot. Again, not a big deal, just good to be aware of these little things.

Good advice. I might even get a pre-wired plate - we'll see.

I have now laid the first 2 coats of glue on the back of the body with very little dye lifting in the first application.It's gone on quite rough as usual but it'll sand out nicely. I got a couple of bits of dust in is so I will probably stick with the 2 coats I have, sand it back with 600 and then apply a 3rd and hopefully final coat. I love this stuff.

A couple of Glu Boost coats laid down - still not sure now as it is showing a little gloss. Try satin or stick with gloss clear coat??

Chris

Def gloss is my vote! Noice!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast