Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Next Build - FV-1

My Next Build - FV-1 (Gunners Special)

Just turned up today. I'm building this as a surprise gift for a friend and he has no idea. He's a bit of an Arsenal fan (yet we're still friends somehow) so this will be painted red with a bit of white and with a Gunners logo or two - just have to work out where they're going.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200116_140559_small.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	33277
    Last edited by m0j0; 30-03-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Been a bit slow with this. The weather hasn't been conducive to spray painting outdoors from a can.

Did the grain fill and undercoats a few weeks back and then got around to laying down some colour and a decal on the weekend.

Name:	20200128_165452.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	33890

Name:	20200128_165502.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	532.2 KB 
ID:	33891

The face of the headstock will be white and thinking of spraying the pickguard white also, but not sure how that will turn out, though.

Name:	20200224_072348.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	33892

A bit of research on painting pickguards has pointed me to a Krylon Fusion for plastics. Would love to hear from anyone that's done this. I'm concerned about the durability of a painted pickguard. They make the Krylon Fusion in a clear gloss so would it be beneficial to to finish with a few clear coats to protect the white or is that a waste of time?

I considered buying a white Flying V pickguard but a standard Gibson pickguard doesn't line up with all the holes. Didn't even bother checking the dimensions but I'd be surprised if they're the same. A few extra holes that go nowhere would be kinda crap.
    Last edited by m0j0; 24-02-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    If you buy a pick guard blank in triple ply white you could use the one you have as a template. It’s quite easy material to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    If you buy a pick guard blank in triple ply white you could use the one you have as a template. It’s quite easy material to work with.
    Didn't think of that. I'm always trying to find the most difficult solution for some reason.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    https://www.realparts.com.au/pickgua...ite-3-ply.html

These guys are really good. Measure what you have, you might need the larger option.

I second this, I did exactly this for my 3 ply pick guard on my AJM build
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Finished the wet sand and polish. Only done by hand so not the best job but still looks decent. Now for my next hurdle that I didn't foresee.

Never done one like this before with all the pickups and knobs mounted on the pickguard but still needing to route the wiring through drill holes in the body. Makes for a very awkward soldering job because I need to balance the pickguard near the body while doing all the soldering so I don't have a crapload of cable to bundle back into the cavities. As much as I hate the idea, might be worth doing this with plug-in connectors so I can solder it all and route cables through, then just connect the plugs just before I mount the pick-guard.

Name:	20200329_131236_small.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	434.4 KB 
ID:	34264

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast