Thread: ES 335 semi hollow DOUBLE neck bass/ six string

ES 335 semi hollow DOUBLE neck bass/ six string

So, I've had this idea forEVER and I know that it can be done.... but should it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12494922_1224950454199606_4871974320722749528_n.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	33274

This is a poor photoshop, but I think the idea is just brilliant!
    Anyone agree?

The FrankenLab bows before your ambition!

You'd need to develop a set of outline drawings that would show you your complete outlines, elevations and curve profiles.

then you'd need to make perimeter moulds that will help you form the sides, and curve moulds for the front and rear.

There's a really good YT build of a 335 that goes through the whole process, right down to the guy making his own moulds and Ply laminates for the front and the back. I think his name is Jason Beam, its pretty in depth.

Its a very cool concept, but making it work with a Hollow or semi hollow body would be a massive challenge.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

3. Liked by: Monkeesfan1965

That's why I was hoping for a kit I can cut a slab body just fine. I may have just dreamed too big...

A double archtop however would ruin the structural integrity of a single arch. Which probably mean that almost all of that central section, with a width of mudbucker to humbucker. would have to be solid. If you made it with a single arch, then the bass neck and pickup would be slanted towards you a bit and the guitar neck and pickups slanted away, which wouldn't make it that playable.

Maybe a chambered body with a stuck-on flat top (or back)? You could rout that out from a solid block quite easily. It wouldn't be the same of course, but from a reasonable distance it would look the same.

I was just thinking about the fun and games feeding all that wiring through the F holes...

7. Liked by: JimC

Its a mighty wide body too, the ergonomics would be interesting. The size of mould too for the front and back.
    Given the thought that the wings on a centre block semi are pretty much cosmetic structurally, there ought to be no great structural objection - seems to me the archtop is largely cosmetic on those. If you don't think of the top as an arch, but merely think of it as the wings tapering down from the body...
    Practically speaking though the setup costs would be spectacular and the sales maybe not sparkling.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Maybe a chambered body with a stuck-on flat top (or back)? You could rout that out from a solid block quite easily. It wouldn't be the same of course, but from a reasonable distance it would look the same.
    A little bit more Lucille than 335 eh?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.