Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Build JM-1

If you plan on mixing paints, please try on a piece of scrap wood first. If you do find they react, you don't want to have something reactive sinking into the guitar and that you then need to sand 1mm or so off the body to remove.

And 'reaction' may not be a near-immediate bubbling (though that can happen) but could result in the finish never hardening properly, which takes a long while to realise (this has happened to me in the past).

Thanks for the tips guys, I was watching a tutorial on YouTube and this guys was using water based multisurface craft paints. They had a pretty good finish, but his prep as a luthier was diabolical, perfectionist. Plus he had some massive tin of clear coat that took like 9 days to cure as it was also a water based compatible product.
    I liked this because I can airbrush a burst, feathering the edges.
    My alternative is to go with a very simple single colour, black.
    Or like a black wash. I am still waiting to see if my scratch plate turns out.
    My father in law has a laser cutter (who knew) I just made the file for his cutter, he will cut some 5mm MDF first before my material arrives and then he will give that a shot, because I am getting an A 3 piece, he gets 2 shots at it.

It's really best to now start a proper build diary, rather than keep asking further questions in this intro section.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2