Thread: Mask or scrape?

Mask or scrape?

So, in preparing to stain (or really any finish) is it better to mask the binding or to stain everything then scrape the binding with a fine burnished scraper...asking for a friend

Masking is time consuming and painstaking and it seems color always bleeds under the masking anyway meaning the binding will need to be scraped anyway.

On the other hand, staining the binding seems like it would lead to an inordinate amount of scraping.

Think I just answered my own question...
    And the doctor said "Give him jug band music; it seems to make him feel just fine..."

Correct. Binding can have small cracks in it that allows the stain to get in. Masking will help to reduce this problem but binding will always need scraping regardless. All part of the building process. I have found that taking short cuts in the building process will always effect the fnal results. Be patient and the results will speak for themselves.

Personally, scraping is easier. As you said you never keep it completely clean, so end up doing it anyway. Sharp razor blade or similar, with the blade masked off leaving just the width of the binding works for me.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Having tried it both ways,I certainly recommend masking, although I agree you will be doing some scraping regardless

If you do it carefully you may get by with very little scraping. Even if you don't get the binding perfectly masked masking should reduce your scraping.

It's time consuming, yes, but I got so I could do the top binding in about 1/2 hour. I used 1/4" 3M Fine Line tape. Use it carefully and it does an amazingly good job. Best stuff I have ever used by far.

I use it for color only. I took the tape off for the clear coat, which I put on both color and binding. Mine came from eBay, but you can sometimes get it at auto parts stores.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	33169

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fender3x; 04-01-2020 at 08:32 AM.

I know it's redundant now, but I'm also part of the "both" camp.
    Not masking will create a lot more scraping work.

I use a DIY binding scraper like the one in the link below. It works great and allows for much better control and precision than going freehand.

https://www.homemadetools.net/homema...ding-scraper-2
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

That's a pretty nifty little gadget, McCreed.
    And the doctor said "Give him jug band music; it seems to make him feel just fine..."

Quote Originally Posted by Johncoste View Post
    That's a pretty nifty little gadget, McCreed.
    I wish I could take credit for it, but some other clever person came up with it!

So simple but effective, and what's great is it can be accurately adjusted to accommodate the top or side width of the binding.
    Last edited by McCreed; 05-01-2020 at 06:24 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I use one of these. $.60 at Harbor Freight. You can lock the blade to the length you want. McCreed's device is better, but I found this shortly after I failed at trying to make one like it.

Scraping binding looks so easy in the Gibson YouTube. It is going to be somewhat necessary, but the less the better I think.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Polishing the binding so it is as smooth a possible beforehand will also reduce the ability to stain to find tooth in the binding and make any clean up easier.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck