Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: ATL-1SW Build (First Timer)

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Remove the insulation and trap the bare wire between the bridge and body ?
    This is the usual method.

cheers, Mark.

Thanks for that, I now know that I am thinking along the right lines but might look
    for a more 'elegant' solution.
    Cheers, FB.

I now solder a ground wire to a washer and trap that beneath a pickup mounting spring against the plate on a pickup height adjustment screw.

I'd still run the copper tape underneath the bridge, as the cavity tape needs to be grounded to work properly.

Simon, thank you, the washer sounds a good idea and I was mulling over about grounding the cavity tape.
    My thoughts are to earth them all to one point to avoid earth loops.

The pillar drill at work did not have a big enough throat to accommodate the body so could not use that.
    I spent an age measuring either side so that I could drill in from each side to hopefully meet in the middle.
    The string ferrules I bought are an 'all in one' type so I carved a trough in the back rather than six individual holes.
    Don't think I would fancy drilling six individual holes without very sharp bits and a pillar drill but
    others more skilled than me may well have done it successfully.
    Having done the ferrule thingy it is back to glossing the body.
    Onwards and upwards !
    Last edited by Fatboy; 22-01-2020 at 03:23 PM.

As you've found, you need a pillar drill with a very deep throat to do it easily. I've done it using a drill stand and adjusting it to drill through the hole in the base of it. Start from the top and use the bridge to mark the string hole positions. Then drill the two outer ones all the way through, and the 4 inner ones 3/4 of the way. Then flip the body over, use the two outer holes to position the bridge, mark the inner hole locations, drill about 1/2 way. Hopefully the holes line up (you may need to run a drill through a couple of times in reverse if there's a slight mismatch) and you've got a nice straight line of holes front and back.

EDIT: Doofus...wrong thread hehe.
    cheers, Mark.
    Last edited by king casey; 22-01-2020 at 06:17 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5