Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: RCA-4 Bass wiring

RCA-4 Bass wiring

Hello,
    I'm completing the lacquer coats on my build, which requires a suitable long time to dry before sanding, buffing and finishing.
    This leads me to the next process, wiring up my pickups.
    My idea is to replicate a six string Rickenbacker LOOK of 5 knobs.
    The Rick's use VV/TT and a Blend knob, I don't have to use that, but I want 5 knobs that function.

I'm using the single coil pickup that came with the kit (one yellow wire) for the neck position, and a 4 wire Guitar Fettish MusicMan pickup in the bridge position.

I admit to being a neophyte regarding wiring, but what I found is that VV/TT with a single coil and a humbucker can be difficult.
    I like the idea of a Split Coil for the humbucker, maybe as a push/pull/Master Volume, to up the volume once the coil is Split.

Again, technical terminology goes past me.

I'm following the wiring diagram PBG provides for the RCA-4 specific, which seems similar to a Les Paul, but it's a bass, with a single coil, and a humbucker. Is not a Precision pickup a humbucker, and a jazz bass pickup a single coil?
    So it's done, maybe in my case reversed.

Anybody have a suggestion where I can have 5 functioning knobs. And relate it to me dummied down?

Thanks!

I play a Jazz bass, often with acoustic instruments, and sometimes find it irritating that I don't have a master volume, so if I want the overall volume up or down I have to adjust 2 knobs. So I could make an argument for volume for each pickup plus master volume.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

This should work. Doesn't have the split for the humbucker but otherwise right.

The split would be easy to add if you want it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starfire_wiring.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	33049

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thank you Jim C.
    I have my Go To Bass, a 1966 Jazz, with rewired pups by Lindy Fralin. Volume, Bass and a Tone knob. A Three Way Switch that I keep in middle position, either other option gets noisy. Very happy with the sound. The neck is to KILL for, worn beautifully. Mine has been altered from original as it has a pro-type preamp, no one knows it's origin, PASSIVE Pups, with a battery, but functions Great! I bought it in the Early 80's knowing it's alterations. Those changes leave Gruen Guitars here in Nashville assess it's value in regard as Subpar and cast it off. I get SO much volume, if I choose, SO much treble if I tune it in, it will cut your head off! I have to cut the treble back when using a pick, but will just jump with fingers! I get many compliments. LOVE this bass! But she is old, and I'd hate to have it nicked, as it has before. I got it back!!! But considering retirement for the Ol' Gal! This bass LOVES to be played!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1966.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	33064  
    Last edited by OctoberBassRCA-4; 25-12-2019 at 11:14 AM.

I love this bass!

Fender3X,
    I like this schematic, I'd place the Master to the back/bottom of the pickguard, but very understandable. Thank you.
    I can use this!
    Do you think a Push/Pull Volume pot as a Coil Tap/ Master Volume be an option? In my configuration?
    Last edited by OctoberBassRCA-4; 25-12-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OctoberBassRCA-4 View Post
    Do you think a Push/Pull Volume pot as a Coil Tap/ Master Volume be an option? In my configuration?
    Glad you found the wiring plan helpful ;-)

You can put the push-pull switch on any of the pots but it will be easiest to put it on the bridge pup's volume pot because that's where the hot lead from the pup is going anyway. I would find it most intuitive.

It's really simple to wire the push pull. Normally these switches have 6 lugs, 3 on each side. You will only use two lugs on one side (doesn't matter which side).

Find the two leads from the pickup that are soldered together. Solder these to one of the top lugs (lug closest to the pot). Both leads get soldered to this lug--you don't need to unsolder them. Solder a ground wire to the middle lug on the same side. That's it!

With the switch "down" the pup will function as a normal humbucker. With the switch "up" you will only be using the north coil.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fender3x; 25-12-2019 at 11:34 AM.

That Guild circuit looks useful. Unlike Jazz bass wiring it looks to me as if the volume controls affect both pickups with the switch in the middle. If that's the case I think I would be tempted to change that.
    A question I'd like to pose is whether the tone pots ought to have different value capacitors for the single coil and the humbucker. I'm pretty much ignorant on tone controls, I don't have an informed opinion.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

JimC,
    I agree with you, for what little I know about wiring. I'm clueless on what pots to use with this configuration.
    All I understand is a 250K pot will give more treble, high end, where as a 500K pot will be more midrange/bass.
    Given my choice of pickups, and their positions, would there be a proven choice of pot values, along with your question, the cap values?

Quote Originally Posted by OctoberBassRCA-4 View Post
    JimC,
    I agree with you, for what little I know about wiring. I'm clueless on what pots to use with this configuration.
    All I understand is a 250K pot will give more treble, high end, where as a 500K pot will be more midrange/bass.
    Given my choice of pickups, and their positions, would there be a proven choice of pot values, along with your question, the cap values?
    @Simon Barden knows about twenty times more about this stuff than me. I can read a circuit diagram and work something out, but the subtleties are beyond me. I have a feeling its the other way round, that 250K pots give less high end, so are a better match with single coils, whereas humbuckers need all the treble they can get. Bearing in mind three volume pots anyway I'd be inclined to use 500s on all three, and reverse the in and out wires on the individual volume pots so its more like a jazz bass. But I claim no expertise.

Tone circuits are not my thing at all. If you twisted my arm I'd note that AIUI JBs have a ~.047 cap on the tone control, and Gibsons a ~.022, so maybe it would be worth having the two different values, and I'd use 500 pots but almost anyone would be a better guide than me.
    Last edited by JimC; 26-12-2019 at 12:16 AM.
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast