Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RCA-4 Bass wiring

The neck pup is a single coil that came with the kit.
    The bridge pup is a humbucker.
    Together, in the middle position on the 3 way, I can hear their out of phase, a tone similar to my Ripper's out of phase selection.

It's probably easiest on the humbucker wiring (which I assume is 4-wire + shield). You'll have one lone signal wire and one ground wire that's probably twisted with the braid shield and connected to ground on a pot. You'll need to swap the ground and signal wires over, so that the current signal wire is twisted to the braided shield and grounded, whilst the current ground wire is now used as the signal wire and taken off to the volume pot (or selector switch - whichever the existing signal wire is connected to). No change to the sound of the pickup on its own, but you'll get the normal parallel sound in the mixed position.

From what you’ve said in your other thread swapping the bridge pup’s red and black wire connections should do it.
    Scott.

Thanks Simon, I did that but for combining with the braided shield wire, I just swapped the ground and signal wires. My MM pup has 3 wires, red, white and black, and the braided shield wire that right now I have soldered to the copper shielding in the cavity.
    Is that correct? I know I have to change things around, but where correctly should the braided wire connect?

Before you start swapping wires around have you done a tap test with just the bridge pup selected to see if you’re getting both coils? The wiring and colours for GFS MMs is pretty vague, plus the Kwik-connect variations, so it’s difficult to say definitively which wires are what. A traditional MM would have coils in parallel, so a hot + for each coil going to volume/switch. If it’s wired in series for more output then you’ll have one hot + and a (usually red/white) link joining the coils.

As your pup seems to have a bare, black, red and white we need to work out if it’s supposed to be a parallel MM with red & white as + and black as -, or a series MM with bare as -, black as + and red/white as the series link... or some other variation. I don’t suppose there’s a green wire hidden inside the bare braid?

A tap test and description of how you currently have it wired should help decipher how it should be connected.
    Scott.

Scott, I'll post a photo of my wiring, but it may look like a mess. And that could be the root of the problem, but I got sound, the MM HB sounds weak, 3.8 on a multimeter, so half power? Or Out of Phase. Picture soon.

Resistance isn't everything, as 3.8k sounds about right for two coils in parallel (which is how a traditional MM humbucker should be connected). That's about 7.6k for each coil. If they were to be wired in series (rather than parallel), you'd get 15.2k. 3.8k for a series humbucker arrangement would indicate 1.9k per individual coil, which would be ridiculously low.

A picture will indeed help.

Thanks Simon, thought I somehow wired it real off.
    I'll get a picture once I pull the guard off again.
    Thanks to all PBG Gurus!

RCA 4 Wiring Photo

So I'm posting some photos of my wiring job. I included the GFS wiring diagram sent with the MM Pickup.
    The bottom illustration is what represents my wiring.
    Somehow this is wired Out of Phase, or it sounds Out of Phase with the Single Coil Neck pickup. The SC is way louder than the MM HB. I have swapped the Hot (red) and the Ground (black) in effort to get In Phase.
    I understand my soldering is really bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GFS Wiring Diagram.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	33897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Current Wiring labeled.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	33898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Current Wiring Zoomed Out.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	33899  

I may have seen some neater soldering.

It looks like you've soldered the coil tap wire to ground. so you'll only get a singe coil sound. Simply cut the white wire right by the pot and you should get the full pickup output back. The white wire is only connected to anything (ground) if you want to tap the pickup. Otherwise just leave it free, but just make sure the end can't touch anything else, so best to wrap some insulating tape around it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Current Wiring labeled.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	33903

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast