Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New project guitar

It's funny how ideas change, but stoked that it's working well for you mate. Those parts won't go to waste knowing you

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    It's funny how ideas change, but stoked that it's working well for you mate. Those parts won't go to waste knowing you
    Thanks BD. You can never have too many spare parts!

In the meantime, here's an in progress pic of the neck for now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019 T Neck 2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	39953

The Tele neck is a rosewood board and still masked up, so just showing the back for now. Pretty happy with the colour.
    Speaking of spare parts, the ST neck on the right is next on the list. That will get a re-radius and re-fret. Then I need a body to put it on!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

One more "enhancement"...

I had a couple sets of neck screw ferrules, so I decided to risk drilling the countersunk holes and piss off the neck plate.
    A nice sharp 14mm 4-fluted Forstner bit did it perfectly.

There is a small indented line in the finish at the top from the neck plate, but this exercise was more about extra comfort than aesthetics. It decreases the thickness at the join by 2mm, which actually makes a noticeable difference in the feel at those higher frets.

Name:	Neck ferrules.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	39999

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Great job! Love the colour too
    Thanks!
    Yes, the colour is one reason I opted against the re-finishing idea. I could probably match it, but why bother?

One thing I was reminded about when I drilled the recesses for the ferrules, is just how thick the factory polyester (polyurethane) finishes are! The combined sealer and finish layers on this is approximately 1.2mm thick!

Edit: Fun fact - that's 5.5% of the body thickness!

I could never match that just doing a single-pack lacquer.
    Last edited by McCreed; 06-04-2021 at 12:51 PM.

I like your way of thinking McCreed, new guitar and sell one off.. It's got to the stage where I'm looking on market place too. Can't see anything that really takes my fancy in kit guitars atm. The one I really want isn't available to October.
    Might have to start selling more too..

Really keen to see how this guitar finishes up McCreed! Side question: I think it was you that put me onto the Cabots clear?

Thanks Rod.
    The only flaw in my system is I still haven't sold the one I have listed! D'oh!!!
    I've had a fair amount of views (Gumtree & FBMP) but not even one inquiry (not even a stupid low-ball offer).

Hopefully the weather will start to dry up a bit after tomorrow and I can get back to finishing the neck. April-May-June are usually my prime months for finishing as I don't have an indoor climate controlled area to spray. Off to a soggy start!

Not sure about the Cabot's clear, but it is what I use in my gun. One day I want to try some water based 2-pack poly, but it's still fairly pricy.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    One day I want to try some water based 2-pack poly, but it's still fairly pricy.
    Yeh it is... But then again so is decent 2k automotive clear. The water based marine 2k I'm using is about $56 for half a litre .

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Thanks Rod.
    The only flaw in my system is I still haven't sold the one I have listed! D'oh!!!
    I've had a fair amount of views (Gumtree & FBMP) but not even one inquiry (not even a stupid low-ball offer).

Hopefully the weather will start to dry up a bit after tomorrow and I can get back to finishing the neck. April-May-June are usually my prime months for finishing as I don't have an indoor climate controlled area to spray. Off to a soggy start!

Not sure about the Cabot's clear, but it is what I use in my gun. One day I want to try some water based 2-pack poly, but it's still fairly pricy.
    That’s only a minor flaw really..😆
    I know what you are saying about the weather, same here on the Gold Coast.
    .. but I’m still spraying Cabot’s clear in a can from Bunnings. Can’t go wrong with it. Thinking of using it as a deodorant now...I love it!

A little bit more progress

Weather wasn't too horrible today, and I decided I want the face of the headstock in gloss with the rest in satin.

So I broke out the airbrush and got some gloss poly on there. The coat is still wet in the photo, but it gives an idea of the finished colour. I'm pretty happy with the tone. So that's 2 coats of diluted FW Golden Teak; 3 coats of blonde shellac shellac (also sprayed) and 5 coats of gloss poly.

Name:	Hd stk 2.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	40016

Hoping to get the satin all done tomorrow.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast