Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Thanks everyone, really appreciate the feedback.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Good work Sonic.

Sounds just like a tele, maybe a little fatter on the neck pickup, but otherwise nice and jangly.
    A strat pickup in the neck makes all the difference in a tele IMO.
    That's why the Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele neck pickup is my favourite for that position. I've just never could bonded with the standard tele neck tone.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Good work Sonic.

A strat pickup in the neck makes all the difference in a tele IMO.
    That's why the Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele neck pickup is my favourite for that position. I've just never could bonded with the standard tele neck tone.
    The TLA I built has an AL Nico 2 Single in it, recycled from my old FrankenWashie set up, it’s definitely beefier than a standard Tele sound.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Top marks on the build.
    Looks like a guitar you would pay a big sum for in a store.

Thanks Col. I'm in two minds about selling it. It has a few imperfections, which are not dealbreakers, but its not quite the quality I want and would expect if i purchased it myself. The Deluxster is the same, probably a slightly better build, but not what I'm comfortable to sell.

My plan at the moment is to build one more of each shape, both with double humbuckers. The Deluxester in the same colour scheme and the Shoegazer in Black on Black using stain and satin poly. Those two will be the first offical for sale builds. I'm also thinking of just using the SMG logo on the headstock rather than the names I've invented.. will see.

I've been tinkering away with the Shoegazer this week. My fret install on this one is not as good as the previous and I've had a couple of bum notes and re dressing to do in a few spots. It's very close to being Ok now. I like the D profile, its a lot thinner than the Deluxester, but still pretty wide and meaty, which is what I prefer. The Queensland maple neck is so solid. Truss rod works great and if feels good in your hands.

I was getting pretty wild hum out of the neck pickup, so I pulled it all apart and shielded the cavities. I also re did all the wiring as it was still in standard oriention, just with the control plate flipped. I thought I'd grabbed a pic, but apparently not looking through my phone. I colour coded everything in black and white and tried to make it super tidy. I've been inspired by Woltz's wiring that looks so pro.

It's a lot better, but there is still a bit of single coil noise that I suppose is unavoidable. My little VOX pathfinder really brings out the worst in some guitars lol. My big Ross bass amp is much more forgiving.

I'll try and get a bit of a demo up over the weekend.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Thanks Col. I'm in two minds about selling it. It has a few imperfections, which are not dealbreakers, but its not quite the quality I want and would expect if i purchased it myself. The Deluxster is the same, probably a slightly better build, but not what I'm comfortable to sell.

My plan at the moment is to build one more of each shape, both with double humbuckers. The Deluxester in the same colour scheme and the Shoegazer in Black on Black using stain and satin poly. Those two will be the first offical for sale builds. I'm also thinking of just using the SMG logo on the headstock rather than the names I've invented.. will see.

I've been tinkering away with the Shoegazer this week. My fret install on this one is not as good as the previous and I've had a couple of bum notes and re dressing to do in a few spots. It's very close to being Ok now. I like the D profile, its a lot thinner than the Deluxester, but still pretty wide and meaty, which is what I prefer. The Queensland maple neck is so solid. Truss rod works great and if feels good in your hands.

I was getting pretty wild hum out of the neck pickup, so I pulled it all apart and shielded the cavities. I also re did all the wiring as it was still in standard oriention, just with the control plate flipped. I thought I'd grabbed a pic, but apparently not looking through my phone. I colour coded everything in black and white and tried to make it super tidy. I've been inspired by Woltz's wiring that looks so pro.

It's a lot better, but there is still a bit of single coil noise that I suppose is unavoidable. My little VOX pathfinder really brings out the worst in some guitars lol. My big Ross bass amp is much more forgiving.

I'll try and get a bit of a demo up over the weekend.
    Haha Sonic, my wiring may be tidy but if you struggle with the finish on the guitar like I do then all the woodwork and wiring work never gets put together in a final product. Have you got a set of humbuckers already?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No I haven't ordered anything for them yet. It'll probably have to wait until tax return time. Are you thinking some Woltz Specials ?

I will really, absolutely have to sell the next two if I want continued co-operation from the home front..... the 'cheaper than cars' excuse is wearing thin lol.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    No I haven't ordered anything for them yet. It'll probably have to wait until tax return time. Are you thinking some Woltz Specials ?
    I've been thinking about ordering some components to make some humbuckers. Happy to discuss specifics with you if you're interested in a set.

That’s a clean looking guitar. I’d want to pick that up in a music shop. Both guitars look beguiling.

Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast