Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Soundgear 6-String Bass

I'd start by emailing the Ibanez distributor in Australia. https://www.australismusic.com.au/brands/ibanez

They may well be able to source a bridge or saddles for you. Distributors are normally pretty helpful. Looks like they've been distributng Ibanez for 30 years, so your bass will probably have passed through their hands when new.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I'd start by emailing the Ibanez distributor in Australia. https://www.australismusic.com.au/brands/ibanez

They may well be able to source a bridge or saddles for you. Distributors are normally pretty helpful. Looks like they've been distributng Ibanez for 30 years, so your bass will probably have passed through their hands when new.

I had another look at that 6-string bass bridge I found on eBay, and the string-to-string spacing on it is 16mm, which should work perfect with the original bridgeplate, so I'm going to buy one of these next week, and just use the saddles, intonation-screws, and springs from it:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/38393169...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Sourcing a set of new strings might be a pain though, cause I just checked Stewmac, and although they do sell a set of 6 DAddario XL 6-string bass strings, they are currently out of stock on it.

https://www.stewmac.com/strings-and-...g-bass-strings
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-09-2021 at 12:41 PM.

There's one other thing that needs attention on my 6-string bass, the stock 9V battery clip needs replacing because at some stage both of the wires broke and the previous owner soldered them back together, and put masking tape over the joins, I'm just going to cut-to-the-chase and replace the 9V battery clip altogether since my local Jaycar Electronics store stocks them, I need to go there anyway to get some replacement parts for my two Wah pedals, but that's on next weeks agenda.

Apparently, I'm also supposed to be doing my jury duty at the Darwin Supreme Court next week on the 10th of this month, at 3pm, I've got no idea what the court case is all about, but I have to make sure I do it otherwise I'll get fined, so that's my next couple of weeks booked solid...
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-09-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    I had another look at that 6-string bass bridge I found on eBay, and the string-to-string spacing on it is 16mm, which should work perfect with the original bridgeplate, so I'm going to buy one of these next week, and just use the saddles, intonation-screws, and springs from it:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/38393169...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
    Hmmmmm.

I'm not 100% sure that will work. The intonation screws and string slots are the the other way round on the Ibanez saddles.

You'll have to rotate the saddles 180°, and probably remove the height adjustment grub screws and replace them the other way up, so the hex key hole is at the top, for a chance of them working.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Hmmmmm.

I'm not 100% sure that will work. The intonation screws and string slots are the the other way round on the Ibanez saddles.

You'll have to rotate the saddles 180°, and probably remove the height adjustment grub screws and replace them the other way up, so the hex key hole is at the top, for a chance of them working.

Yeah, I did notice that, but it seems like it'll be an easy enough thing to remove the grub-screws and replace them the other way around, usually the threaded holes for those grub-screws go all the way through the saddles, since I worked as an apprentice fitter & machinist in my dad's workshop, it shouldn't be a problem.

On the original bridgeplate, the holes for the intonation screws are on the opposite side of the string holes, compared to where they are on that 6-string bridge I found on eBay, the distances between the two sets of holes are the same though, well to my eyes it looks the same, so those saddles on that bridge I found on eBay should be a drop-in fit, with some slight finegling.

I used one of my stainless steel Stewmac fretboard radius-gauges to measure the radius of the 6-string bass's fretboard, turns out it's appears to be a 16-incher, that'll be handy to know when it comes to doing a complete setup-job on the 6-string bass once the new strings are all on, I wonder what factory setup-specs Ibanez used for these SR series of bass guitars?

If I can find my digital camera, I'll see if I can take some better quality pics of the 6-string bass's stock bridgeplate later on.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-09-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Just finished installing a new 9V battery clip in my 6-string bass, so that's one less thing to fix, only a few more things to go till it's playable.

Update:

I managed to buy the 6-string bridge with the needed string-saddles, plus a set of DAddario Roundwound XL 6-string bass strings in .130 to .032 gauge for my 6-string bass, they should arrive in the post next fortnight since I decided to pay the extra money for Express Postage, it's going to be fun learning how to play a 6-string electric bass guitar, especially with that low B-string.

Update:

Checked the postage-tracking for the two items I bought on eBay, and apparently the 6-string bass bridge I bought might be delivered tomorrow, the strings might be delivered on the 20th of this month.

Update:

Just checked postal tracking and apparently the 6-string Bass bridge I bought on eBay is supposed to be due for delivery today.

Update:

Parcel just got delivered to my mailbox, got it in my hands right now.

Update:

I removed each of the 6 string-saddles, springs, and intonation adjustment screws one at a time from the bridge I bought on eBay, and installed them on the original bridge on my 6-string bass, practically zero modifications were needed to be made to the string-saddles to get them to fit on the original bridge, all I had to do was to rotate each string-saddle 180 degrees, here's a pic I took of all the string-saddles after I had finished installing them, looks like that neatly solves problem number one, all I need to do now is wait for the new strings to arrive in the post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New 6 String Bass String Saddles_resized.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	41610
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 15-09-2021 at 10:01 AM.

11. Liked by: PJSprog

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast