Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: First Ever Build - SV1

Its looking tremendous mate, you should be proud. Going to look killer when all done! Where is the spot your talking about located on the guitar? I can't see it in the bigger pictures. Depending on where it is you could try a spot touch up. Mask around it, sand back and start the process again in just that one tiny area. Did you get down to bare wood or primer?

Thanks Bakersdozen...i really like how everyone here provides positive feedback and encouragement especially for those just starting out.

I've never really made anything since woodworking days in high school many, many years ago! hahaha

I've upload a new pick showing a red box around the sand through. It's showing the primer so not to the bare wood. Its right where the strap pin would go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sandthrough.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	413.4 KB 
ID:	30047  
    Build #001 PBG SV-1 Complete
    Build #002 Non PBG PRS Style Semi Hollow Complete
    Build #003 PBG TL-1TB Complete
    Build #004 PBG IC-1 In Progress
    Build #005 SMS 7Q - In Progress

I'd mask around it as has been said already, then spray white and then some clear. After a couple of coats of clear. I'd widen up the unmasked area and add more clear, as you'll need to feather the finish in with the rest.

It is very easy to sand through around the edges - you don't realise how much extra pressure you can apply. So always best to give edges some extra coats.

If you are spraying nitro, then it will happily go on to a gloss surface. But any other finish probably needs a light sanding to give the new coats something to grip on to.

Thanks Simon. I was hoping I could tape off and touch up so good to get that advice. I’m actually using acrylic clear so will rough up a little to get it to stick. I was in a panic but feel a little better now.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Acrylic blends really easily so you won't have to worry about roughing it much. As long as you are spraying like onto like it'll be fine. Try to avoid spraying right up to the taped edge, as you can create lines and bumps, try and blend to where you have taped. Then when its nice and hard you can cut it back. I'll often tape up the hard edges when polishing and cutting and leave them till last. They usually end up getting buffed pretty well inadvertently, so good idea to protect them while you are getting the flat bits nice and shiny.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks Sonic, just starting now so will take all these tips and see how I go. Luckily it’s a small area so hopefully easy to rectify. Hard to blend using spray can though. Learning a lot from this build.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    As long as you are spraying like onto like it'll be fine.
    I'll say. i.e. Cabot's Exterior gloss and SCA acrylic clear gloss do not get on.
    Another first-hand cautionary tale.

cheers, Mark.
    Last edited by king casey; 16-02-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a_novice View Post
    Thanks Sonic, just starting now so will take all these tips and see how I go. Luckily it’s a small area so hopefully easy to rectify. Hard to blend using spray can though. Learning a lot from this build.
    Use height and or distance to feather

Luckily i'm using just SCA products so should all be good. Will try the heigh and distance trick and see how i go. I guess it gives me time to finish last few coats of clear on the headstock while i'm waiting for tru oil order to arrive.
    Build #001 PBG SV-1 Complete
    Build #002 Non PBG PRS Style Semi Hollow Complete
    Build #003 PBG TL-1TB Complete
    Build #004 PBG IC-1 In Progress
    Build #005 SMS 7Q - In Progress

I need to do some small tidy up on headstock edge where I took off the tape and wondering what the best approach is. Should I just take to it with a fine grit sandpaper to remove any paint overhang or is there a better way?

Also is there any need to tape up the front of the headstock when applying the tru oil on the back and neck? I was going to tape edge of fretboard but wasn’t sure if I shoul do anything else.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast