Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 91

Thread: Tube amp build (s)

  1. #81
    Mentor JohnH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,508
    Got this in the mail yesterday, so the 18w build is officially underway.



    I've decided to do two parallel builds, so I'll also be buying parts to build a Champ micro: https://robrobinette.com/Champ_Micro.htm

    I want to try to build a small amp as a gift for someone for their 30th next year, so thought I'd see how the champ goes. Just as a kind of personal challenge I'm going to try to build the champ from the schematic using a mix of point to point and tag strips (we will see how it goes lol)
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

    Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

  2. #82
    Overlord of Music McCreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    2,461
    I want to try to build a small amp as a gift for someone for their 30th next year...
    Coincidentally I too have a birthday coming up (eventually). hint hint
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  3. #83
    Overlord of Music Andy40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,909
    Still waiting for my chassis.....

    That Champ micro project has caught my interest!
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

  4. #84
    Mentor JohnH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,508
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Coincidentally I too have a birthday coming up (eventually). hint hint
    Ha ha ha ha

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Still waiting for my chassis.....

    That Champ micro project has caught my interest!
    Any idea how long til it arrives? I still have to buy a chassis for the champ, but was thinking of getting one of those Hammond project boxes that has a steel cage
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

    Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

  5. #85
    Mentor JohnH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,508
    I was planning on saving myself some time on the 18w build and buying a pre-made head shell and to use the face and back plates that came with the Evatco chassis, but then last night I started thinking about tolex colours, and as invariably happens I think I've changed my mind and decided to make the shell and new plates lol
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

    Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

  6. #86
    Overlord of Music McCreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    2,461
    I'm not ready to take on an amp build (likely never will) but I'm planning a extension cabinet build (which I've discussed with Andy40 through PM's) but I've discovered a pattern that is common throughout anything I build.
    I feel the need to have every little piece, part, wire and tiniest screw in my possession before commencing anything beyond the planning stage.

    Sometimes it can't be helped due to supply issues etc, but there's something in my brain that says I need to have A to Z first!
    Is it just me, or do you guys find this happening?

    I've experienced this with guitar builds too but sometimes a plan change occurs mid-build and then I have no choice but to wait.
    Maybe I really do have some form of OCD...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  7. #87
    GAStronomist DrNomis_44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Darwin,NT Australia
    Posts
    5,235
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I'm not ready to take on an amp build (likely never will) but I'm planning a extension cabinet build (which I've discussed with Andy40 through PM's) but I've discovered a pattern that is common throughout anything I build.
    I feel the need to have every little piece, part, wire and tiniest screw in my possession before commencing anything beyond the planning stage.

    Sometimes it can't be helped due to supply issues etc, but there's something in my brain that says I need to have A to Z first!
    Is it just me, or do you guys find this happening?

    I've experienced this with guitar builds too but sometimes a plan change occurs mid-build and then I have no choice but to wait.
    Maybe I really do have some form of OCD...

    I'm a bit like that too, usually I start with working-out what I want to build, then I grab some A4 printer paper and a pen, or pencil, then I write out a comprehensive list of all the parts I'll need, and then it's off to my local Jaycar Electronics shop if I'm building a pedal, or, I go online and visit the Evatco website if I'm doing any amp-building/repairing stuff, I tend to wait till I've got all the bits and pieces I need before starting the build/repair process.

  8. #88
    GAStronomist DrNomis_44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Darwin,NT Australia
    Posts
    5,235
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Got this in the mail yesterday, so the 18w build is officially underway.



    I've decided to do two parallel builds, so I'll also be buying parts to build a Champ micro: https://robrobinette.com/Champ_Micro.htm

    I want to try to build a small amp as a gift for someone for their 30th next year, so thought I'd see how the champ goes. Just as a kind of personal challenge I'm going to try to build the champ from the schematic using a mix of point to point and tag strips (we will see how it goes lol)
    Nice!....I'm definitely going to be following the build-process, if you ever need any help with it, let me know.

  9. #89
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    8,590
    Sourcing parts with one or two day delivery is a lot easier here in the UK, so I normally only need the main components to hand before I start something.

  10. #90
    Mentor JohnH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,508
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I'm not ready to take on an amp build (likely never will) but I'm planning a extension cabinet build (which I've discussed with Andy40 through PM's) but I've discovered a pattern that is common throughout anything I build.
    I feel the need to have every little piece, part, wire and tiniest screw in my possession before commencing anything beyond the planning stage.

    Sometimes it can't be helped due to supply issues etc, but there's something in my brain that says I need to have A to Z first!
    Is it just me, or do you guys find this happening?

    I've experienced this with guitar builds too but sometimes a plan change occurs mid-build and then I have no choice but to wait.
    Maybe I really do have some form of OCD...
    Hmm, I've never really thought about it, but I don't think I'm like that at all lol. I think I build the way I paint - kind of reactive, just seeing what looks good as I go, or changing ideas as I build/read/think about it. At least when it comes to aesthetic choices - circuit design is a different thing, and I'm very envious of people who can modify a circuit on the fly.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

    Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •