Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 12 string

  1. #1

    12 string

    Hi everyone

    Thinking of doing a 12 string for my next build, has anyone completed one of these? Trying to find posts but I canít seem to find any

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Mentor Marcel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Bouldercombe Qld.
    Posts
    1,138

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Overlord of Music Fretworn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Hornsby Area, Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    3,871
    Current:
    GTH-1

    Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

    Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

  5. #5
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    7,443
    The ES-1 12 string seems to no longer be available from PBG, at least ATM.

    The bridge on the TL-12s is poor and really needs to be upgraded to the Gotoh bridge it is a bad copy of (unless the bridge has been upgraded very recently as there were a few complaints).

  6. #6
    Thanks for this everyone! Gives me a nice amount of reading

    im thinking of getting a custom order, ATL-1FB ďTHINLINE in a 12 string

    https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ic-guitar-kit/

    As i would like a semi hollow style TL, would it be wise for me to ask for the holes to be drilled for string through or should i do this myself, as simon has suggested i get the gotoh 12 string bridge. i'm not sure if things would line up properly. thats if this model can have a string through.


    thanks
    Last edited by Barry snook; 18-10-2020 at 06:35 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry snook View Post
    Thanks for this everyone! Gives me a nice amount of reading

    im thinking of getting a custom order, ATL-1FB ďTHINLINE in a 12 string

    https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ic-guitar-kit/

    As i would like a semi hollow style TL, would it be wise for me to ask for the holes to be drilled for string through or should i do this myself, as simon has suggested i get the gotoh 12 string bridge. i'm not sure if things would line up properly. thats if this model can have a string through.


    thanks
    Someone else can probably chime in to confirm but I expect that the centre strip of the guitar would be solid. Have a look at my scratch tele thinline build and you will see the inside of my one, I would expect the pitbull kit semi-hollows to have similar chambering.

    With regards to the string through holes and whether you should do it yourself, do you have access to a drill press?

    Here is some useful links for drilling string through holes.
    https://reverb.com/item/1008819-tele...e-luthier-tool
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/drilli...s-help.704327/

  8. #8
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    7,443
    Youíd get 6 strings through the body and 6 strings that top load, both with the kit bridge and the Gotoh one. There isnít room for all 12 strings to string-through) The kit bridge used to date is dimensionally identical to the Gotoh, but the saddle heights for each string pair are different by 1-1.5mm (they should be the same) and the holes that should allow the bridge to be intonated correctly for R/H use arenít tapped for the screw, so proper intonation can only be achieved if used on a L/H guitar or you swap out the nut and fit the string pairs the Rickenbacker way with the heavy string at the top (though the string heights will still be different so playing up the neck will be awkward).

    The factory isnít well known for getting its string-through holes lined up very well, so you may feel happier drilling the holes yourself. Itís not too hard to do and youíve a much better chance of getting your ferrules in a nice straight line.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Someone else can probably chime in to confirm but I expect that the centre strip of the guitar would be solid. Have a look at my scratch tele thinline build and you will see the inside of my one, I would expect the pitbull kit semi-hollows to have similar chambering.

    With regards to the string through holes and whether you should do it yourself, do you have access to a drill press?

    Here is some useful links for drilling string through holes.
    https://reverb.com/item/1008819-tele...e-luthier-tool
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/drilli...s-help.704327/
    Thanks for that, no access to a drill press, but i'm fairly sure with the help from those links i would be able to manage it.

    You have some skills with that scratch build, and also recovering from that split!!! good to see the inside, i'm pretty sure this would be similar.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Youíd get 6 strings through the body and 6 strings that top load, both with the kit bridge and the Gotoh one. There isnít room for all 12 strings to string-through) The kit bridge used to date is dimensionally identical to the Gotoh, but the saddle heights for each string pair are different by 1-1.5mm (they should be the same) and the holes that should allow the bridge to be intonated correctly for R/H use arenít tapped for the screw, so proper intonation can only be achieved if used on a L/H guitar or you swap out the nut and fit the string pairs the Rickenbacker way with the heavy string at the top (though the string heights will still be different so playing up the neck will be awkward).

    The factory isnít well known for getting its string-through holes lined up very well, so you may feel happier drilling the holes yourself. Itís not too hard to do and youíve a much better chance of getting your ferrules in a nice straight line.
    good to know, its a shame the bridge is like that, well i think ill give it a go at drilling though myself

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •