Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thank for all your help...project finished

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    While the classical is fantastic for fingerpicking, I hardly ever take it out the case.
    That must make fingerpicking a lot harder.

2. Liked by: Retroman33

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    That must make fingerpicking a lot harder.
    Fortunately I have long fingers

I too am a fingerpick guitarist. I have one finger shrunk and one other unplayable so I tune to DGDGBD use my good finger to bar and find my chords by picking the right strings. I use Ely’s chord finder for lap steel and it works for me. I also have the thumb, middle and ring fingers gelled every couple weeks and they make great picking. The wiessenborn in the original pic what was got me back into guitars again...you use a bar and now I use a finger for that job.
    Jus added to my guitar collection to celebrate lockdown easing with my first Maton...bunya top Qld Maple back sides and neck....it’s fantastic and the 808 size is just right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Suggynz View Post
    I too am a fingerpick guitarist. I have one finger shrunk and one other unplayable so I tune to DGDGBD use my good finger to bar and find my chords by picking the right strings. I use Ely’s chord finder for lap steel and it works for me. I also have the thumb, middle and ring fingers gelled every couple weeks and they make great picking. The wiessenborn in the original pic what was got me back into guitars again...you use a bar and now I use a finger for that job.
    Jus added to my guitar collection to celebrate lockdown easing with my first Maton...bunya top Qld Maple back sides and neck....it’s fantastic and the 808 size is just right for me.
    Nice, Maton make lovely acoustics.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

My last acoustic purchased was an EBG808TE with a Sitka Spruce top but the same back, sides and neck wood. Nice guitar, Suggynz.

I love the Maton guitar and the 808 size is great....sold a lot of stuff online during lockdown including an Ibanez parlour with thermo treated wood. The Maton is the best acoustic I’ve ever owned.

Now quite a while on..guitar sounds great but neck too fat and it’s heavy.
    Thinking of slimming neck to a “c” shape and reducing weight with a big belly cut or getting some routing on back done.
    Anyone else done this

I know a few people here, McCreed for certain, have added a belly cut and a forearm contour (like on a Strat). If necessary, you can also rout (or simply drill out) some chambers below the scratchplate area.

Alternatively you could simply take a few mm off the back to make a thinner body. I did this to a home-made Tele body I was given. Just measure the cavity depths first to know how much you can safely remove and still leave some wood at the bottom of the control cavity.

I've re-profiled a few necks to improve the feel. I find that the 'shoulders' of the neck, where it meets the fingerboard, play a big part in how the neck feels. Even a small change in angle here can affect how your hand gets splayed out by the neck.

I'd try and avoid taking anything much off the very back, as the truss rod channel isn't that far below the surface. Stick to the sides and you'll be fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2