Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: #3rd Custom GR-1SF ‘Annylonation’.

Day 19 Mrs DarkMark gave the spare room a tidy and discovered my rebellious activity. This lead to my interrogation regarding ‘Operation Annylonation’. She has ways of making you speak.

Oh well, I wasn’t sure how I was going to hide a wet clear coated guitar hanging from a ceiling fan anyhow. She may of won that battle, but we’re still fighting to win the war!

Currently getting my money’s worth out of my bottle of titebond as the first piece of veneer is glued to the headstock today. I’ll post a photo once I have drilled/cut the holes into the headstock for the tuners, remembering to do the side holes first to prevent tear out within the longitudinal holes.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Day 19 Mrs DarkMark gave the spare room a tidy and discovered my rebellious activity. This lead to my interrogation regarding ‘Operation Annylonation’. She has ways of making you speak.

Oh well, I wasn’t sure how I was going to hide a wet clear coated guitar hanging from a ceiling fan anyhow. She may of won that battle, but we’re still fighting to win the war!

Currently getting my money’s worth out of my bottle of titebond as the first piece of veneer is glued to the headstock today. I’ll post a photo once I have drilled/cut the holes into the headstock for the tuners, remembering to do the side holes first to prevent tear out within the longitudinal holes.
    Good luck with that DarkMark.
    If it were me, the line 'wet clear coated guitar' would be replaced with 'cleanly severed pair of bollocks'.

cheers, Mark.

Ok FrankenWashie, here is the (clears throat, scratches nose) seamless neck join.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 23.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	30409  

I like the contrast, it sets up some cool potential for shaping and scroll work. Look forward to the next progress shots!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Fixing a small chip and I did put a couple of dowel in. Interested to know peoples thoughts...when I glue the veneer to the top of the headstock, would you follow the grain of the sides? Or would you follow the grain of the face and back of the headstock?

Name:	PNG image 24.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	422.3 KB 
ID:	30425  

Clamps. Up to 12 pieces of headstock veneer.

Name:	PNG image 25.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	554.1 KB 
ID:	30442  

Ok, now I have a Art Deco coffin shaped headstock. Next will be grid out my markings, put on my brown underwear and turn it into Swiss cheese.

Name:	PNG image 29.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	339.9 KB 
ID:	30460  

Well......not quite the perfect result I was hoping for, but it is what it is. I’ll tidy it up, salvage it as best as I can and not get hung up over it.

Name:	PNG image 30.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	30470  

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Well......not quite the perfect result I was hoping for, but it is what it is. I’ll tidy it up, salvage it as best as I can and not get hung up over it.
    Perfect or not, that's pretty cool! Great work there DM.

How did you go about it? Was it all routed or drilled out and rasped? I'm just curious as to your method on this.

Did you have any issues with the tooling grabbing your added veneers?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast