Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Christodav's JTL-1 Offset tel

They weren't connected in that picture. They are connected now, but I need to rout a tad more out of the control hole as the wires are too cramped. Then I will work on the finishing touches such as a headstock logo, string trees and set-up.

Chris

They weren't connected in that picture. They are connected now, but I need to rout a tad more out of the control hole as the wires are too cramped.
    Ah, I see. When I read "...I can get some chords and it sustains really nicely" I took that to mean the pickups were working.
    Looks great though!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

3. Liked by: christodav

Pickups done. Installed. I am pleased with the way they sound.
    I can't find any string trees among my parts anywhere. I'll have to purchase some and then set it up. I am getting some major buzzing etc and the 21st fret is high. I have ordered some tools and I will attempt the set-up myself. this week.
    I have a few spots to fix up with Gluboost and sand back.
    I also still haven't worked out a headstock logo.
    Tomorrow I will fit the horn strap button and I forgot I hadn't screwed in the little tuning machine screws.
    The only other weird thing is where the output jack is. I didn't realize that in my opinion, it sits in an awkward position. It's too late now, but if I had have realized in the beginning, i would have plugged the hole and moved it further to the side.

Chris

Oh no! Just when you think it's all going right, you realize that you missed something quite big!

I was just reading Bakersdozen's build and realized that I missed the fact that he had to take 3mm out of the neck pocket. Mine is the same , except fortunately for him, he was smart enough to discover this before he "finished" his guitar. Now I have to come up with a plan to do this. I have a trimmer, but I think a 1/2" router would make the job quicker and easier.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christodav View Post
    Oh no! Just when you think it's all going right, you realize that you missed something quite big!

I was just reading Bakersdozen's build and realized that I missed the fact that he had to take 3mm out of the neck pocket. Mine is the same , except fortunately for him, he was smart enough to discover this before he "finished" his guitar. Now I have to come up with a plan to do this. I have a trimmer, but I think a 1/2" router would make the job quicker and easier.

Chris
    I wasn't going to mention anything in case yours was different. A trim router with the follow/template bit and some patience making a guide worked for me. Slow and steady. I chose this method over the way Richy did with the Blasteroid, which was shaping the heel of the neck itself. I was torn which way to go, but I felt more confident editing the pocket rather than the neck. Just make sure to measure the type of bit you get to ensure it will work with the guide you make. Now that I think about it, if you made a big base for the trim router, it may suffice over having to make a guide for the pocket itself.

This is one occasion where I was really happy that I put it all together and actually played it before finishing. It really paid off here.

I will leave the neck alone.

Hmm. I work in a tool shop so getting the tools is not an issue. I could use the larger router trimmer base that Makita make. I think that may just work. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it's not a huge task really. It's just scary thinking about what could go wrong LOL.
    I was probably going to take the neck off again anyway to set it up.

All good

8. Liked by: Bakersdozen

I will leave the neck alone.

Hmm. I work in a tool shop so getting the tools is not an issue. I could use the larger router trimmer base that Makita make. I think that may just work. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it's not a huge task really. It's just scary thinking about what could go wrong LOL.
    I was probably going to take the neck off again anyway to set it up.

All good
    Sounds good. Your well situated then. Just be careful where the treble side of the neck pocket side curves down .. very easy to tear out that bit. I think that was my biggest stress as there is enough to form a template in the rest of the pocket bar that little bit. That's where I added a horizontal part to my guide to make sure I didn't breach that area. You could easily just clamp a rail to the side if you fabricated it properly.

Cool, thanks.

I just had another quick look at my guitar and I think that 3mm is probably too much to take off. I have the Babicz bridge cranked up full across the board and the D and G are the strings that are choking out - the others are not too bad. My thoughts right now are to wait until my tools arrive and take the neck off and sort out the fret filing and sanding etc and get that right first. I will then have a look at how much actually needs to come off. I don't have a 3mm gap between the end of the neck and the pickguard - it's much less than that. The pocket does need to come down given that the strings are choking out at full height at the bridge. However, I think getting the neck right first is the important first step before the router come out.

Chris

Cool, thanks.

I just had another quick look at my guitar and I think that 3mm is probably too much to take off. I have the Babicz bridge cranked up full across the board and the D and G are the strings that are choking out - the others are not too bad. My thoughts right now are to wait until my tools arrive and take the neck off and sort out the fret filing and sanding etc and get that right first. I will then have a look at how much actually needs to come off. I don't have a 3mm gap between the end of the neck and the pickguard - it's much less than that. The pocket does need to come down given that the strings are choking out at full height at the bridge. However, I think getting the neck right first is the important first step before the router come out.

Chris
    Good plan! And mine was approx 3mm I can't quite remember exactly. Keep us posted

So I got me some tools. Laid the measuring stick on the fretboard and tightened the trussrod until there were no more gaps. Now pretty much no notes can be played except the open strings until around the the 7th fret. I'll let it settle for a while and then back it off a bit until it's right. It most likely has a slight backbow. So now I will have to route out the pocket. *sigh*

Chris

13. Liked by: Bakersdozen

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast