Thread: Wiring question (2 humbuckers, 3-way switch, one volume, one tone)

Question Wiring question (2 humbuckers, 3-way switch, one volume, one tone)

I'm confused on how to wire the output jack.

1. Is the hot/outside tip the longer of the 3 tips on the end of jack?
    2. For the inside/earth contact does it matter which of the 2 'short' tips you solder to?
    3. In the diagram, my blue arrow is pointing to a wire that doesn't exist in my set of electronics. I think I have an extra wire (yellow) that is already attached to the tone pot, so can I just remove that and use it for this blue-arrow wire?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack wiring.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	42412

re: Q 1 & 2 - The longer solder lug on the outside is your ground. I believe the jack you have there is a TRS (stereo). If you have a multimeter and a stereo plug you can test it to confirm. If it is a stereo jack you can simply jumper the two centre lugs with the positive signal wire and it will act as a mono jack.

re: Q 3 - A picture of the existing wiring would make it easier to determine whether it is actually "extra" or where it should soldered to.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Please ask any further technical questions in one of the many technical sub-forums here. This one is just for saying hello and to introducing yourself.

Or better still, start a build diary and ask questions there, as well as generally posting on how you are progressing. It helps us all.

Good pick up Simon! I didn't even notice the forum...

OK, thanks for the info. Didn't realize there were other areas...getting used to this new community!

Don't worry about it. It's not the best organised forum in the world (but it's too much effort to get it rearranged now) so it is what it is. far too many sub-sections, which does make it quite daunting to navigate. It just makes it easier for everyone if people post under a roughly relevant section.

Maybe one of the Mods can relocate this into the "Wiring Pickups" forum?

Despite this being posted in the Welcome forum, have you got things sorted with the jack and "extra" wire yet?

Let us know if you still need help.

Not sorted yet...need to get back at it. Was going to start a My Build post and pose the inquiry there, but photos wouldn't load, so will try that route again.