Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TL adventures

TL adventures

I never used to like tele style guitars, but somehow I've become a complete convert over the last year or so.

I really wanted to build one from scratch, but realistically I know I don't have the time or the funds, so a kit build it is.

Just ordered a TL-1A, but also have plans for a TL-1HA, a thinline, and one of the 12 strings.

I'd like to try a solid colour for the TL-1A. I've made some nice looking stomp boxes with spray cans, so I feel up to the challenge of tackling the larger surface area. I'll upgrade most things, but no real plans until I get the kit and think about colours.

For the TL-1HA (when I eventually order it) I'd like to try out some hexaphonic pickups. After a lot of time trawling the net I think I've settled on these (but I have some time, so will keep thinking about it):

https://www.cycfi.com/projects/nu-series/
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Good for you.

Why the hexaphonic pickup? Presumably not MIDI, so just for multi-processing? Or maybe for use with a Boss SY1000?

Incidentally,m the noise spec for that pickup is meaningless. 0.2dB? dB is a ratio, so you need an agreed or stated reference figure to make it meaningful e.g. dBu or dBV. I'm sure they're very quiet, but obvious errors like that annoy me in a list of technical details.

Ha ha ha, fair enough. I'm not tech savvy enough to pick up on those things, but the pickups have good reviews.

Yeah, multi-processing. I fell down a rabbit hole after finding that MIDI controller guitar I posted about a few weeks ago, and after working my way through various forums ended up getting quite excited about the prospect of having separate outputs for each string. I can imagine having a lot of fun with it.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post

Incidentally,m the noise spec for that pickup is meaningless. 0.2dB? dB is a ratio, so you need an agreed or stated reference figure to make it meaningful e.g. dBu or dBV. I'm sure they're very quiet, but obvious errors like that annoy me in a list of technical details.
    Hi,

I'm Joel (Cycfi research), I just want to clarify that 0.2dB is the Noise Figure specified by the transistor manufacturer for Toshiba 2SC3324. Noise figure (NF) is always in dB:

"The noise figure is the difference in decibels (dB) between the noise output of the actual receiver to the noise output of an “ideal” receiver with the same overall gain and bandwidth when the receivers are connected to matched sources at the standard noise temperature T0 (usually 290 K). The noise power from a simple load is equal to kTB, where k is Boltzmann's constant, T is the absolute temperature of the load (for example a resistor), and B is the measurement bandwidth."

Some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_figure
    https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/4...01-1150780.pdf

Regards,
    --Joel

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I never used to like tele style guitars, but somehow I've become a complete convert over the last year or so.

I really wanted to build one from scratch, but realistically I know I don't have the time or the funds, so a kit build it is.

Just ordered a TL-1A, but also have plans for a TL-1HA, a thinline, and one of the 12 strings.

I'd like to try a solid colour for the TL-1A. I've made some nice looking stomp boxes with spray cans, so I feel up to the challenge of tackling the larger surface area. I'll upgrade most things, but no real plans until I get the kit and think about colours.

For the TL-1HA (when I eventually order it) I'd like to try out some hexaphonic pickups. After a lot of time trawling the net I think I've settled on these (but I have some time, so will keep thinking about it):

https://www.cycfi.com/projects/nu-series/
    Really wish I hadn’t clicked that link. 🤯 IGOR! Fetch the electrodes!!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Really wish I hadn’t clicked that link. 🤯 IGOR! Fetch the electrodes!!
    Looks like fun, huh? I'm pretty keen. US to AUD conversion is killer though, but I think I can sell a few bits of unused gear to fund it
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Looks like fun, huh? I'm pretty keen. US to AUD conversion is killer though, but I think I can sell a few bits of unused gear to fund it
    Yeah, I’m desperately trying to shove this into the much much further down the road pile of plans.....
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Yeah, I’m desperately trying to shove this into the much much further down the road pile of plans.....
    I tried that but my enthusiasm got the better of me and other plans got pushed back, ha ha
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Mentor
    John I was considering selling the Acrylic Tele Thinline templates that I have which I used for my scratch Tele if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    John I was considering selling the Acrylic Tele Thinline templates that I have which I used for my scratch Tele if you are interested.
    Yeah, for sure - I'll send you a PM
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast