Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual Build: GSJ-1 and GSM-1

It's sold as a pop-up toilet/shower tent. Though you'd have to be fairly motorised to take all the kit to have a portable shower with you camping (plus carrying all the water required).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It's sold as a pop-up toilet/shower tent. Though you'd have to be fairly motorised to take all the kit to have a portable shower with you camping (plus carrying all the water required).
    So probably just for number two's then.

cheers, Mark.

The old Navy bath! You just stand in a shallow tub of water and work your way up from the ankles...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Great diary you have going Simon! Just stumbled across your post. Guitars are looking great!

I rarely comment in other people's threads (I'm more the silent admirer :-) ) but I am very impressed with your skills. The staining is so even and beautiful....
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Talk about making hay while the sun shines!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

A lot of that even staining is just down to having nice bits of wood of an even colour, so there's no mismatch between constituent wood blocks, like on some kit bodies. It does pay to go for the better kits with better wood selection (one or two piece bodies) if you want a stained finish, rather than a solid colour. Spirit-based stain does penetrate the wood a bit more than water-based stain (but still only just below the surface), so certainly my preference on a non-bound guitar But it does get in any cracks in the binding, so for those I prefer water-based stains.

Today I've been sanding the abalone on the headstocks to get them level with the paint worked well, but did sand through the paint in a couple of places, so have touched those areas up. Just used a brush as it was easier to apply more paint in one go and put it just where I wanted.

Now need to wait a couple of days again to let it harden enough to sand back again.

Just jumping the gun here Simon but when you get a chance have a look at the trust rod cover. They are a copy of a SG but they won't work on this style head stock. I might cut the end off and drill 2 holes either side of the cover. Got the stain on mine waiting for it to dry. You're progressing nicely mate.!

From an earlier post in this thread:
    One thing I did notice on both kits is that the supplied truss-rod covers are 2-screw standard Gibson types, whilst the kit needs the 3-screw type. Luckily I have a stock of G-style 3-hole truss rod covers!
    So already spotted, but thanks.

I've mentioned the truss rod cover, the badly placed fretboard locating pins and the lack of pre-drilled bridge ground wire holes to Adam on these G-series kits, and he'll have a word with the factory as he says they are very responsive. So hopefully the next batch from them will have these small issues sorted.

From an earlier post in this thread:

So already spotted, but thanks.

I've mentioned the truss rod cover, the badly placed fretboard locating pins and the lack of pre-drilled bridge ground wire holes to Adam on these G-series kits, and he'll have a word with the factory as he says they are very responsive. So hopefully the next batch from them will have these small issues sorted.
    Sorry, missed that. I might have to make one

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast