Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: First build - TL-1TH

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    The finish is super hard now, so I don't have any fear of the tape itself causing damage.
    Fate has been tempted.

When you have to re-do the finish as a result, don't forget the 600 and 1200 stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Fate has been tempted.

When you have to re-do the finish as a result, don't forget the 600 and 1200 stages.
    Fate is only tempted when someone draws Fate's attention. Until you pointed it out my comment may have slid through unnoticed. And I didn't forget 600 and 1200. Just didn't do enough of them.

But I am happy enough with the finish that I am going to go with a lacquer finish on the next build. Finally settled on a PB-30M bass. Tortoiseshell pickguard and body colour in the vicinity of surf green. The rosewood fretboard would probably look better but I would rather not tackle another engineered rosewood board.

Are the PBG basses also 12" radius boards?
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

The rosewood fretboard would probably look better but I would rather not tackle another engineered rosewood board.
    Could just stipulate as such at the order stage?
    FWIW I got a Pitbull 30" rosewood bass neck some time ago.
    I plugged up the tuner holes as I was contemplating making it either a baritone guitar or smaller bass tuners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pb neck.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	36465

cheers, Mark.

re: Rosewood fretboard
    I'm pretty sure if the listing says "rosewood" it is real rosewood, not the engineered stuff. Maybe one of the guys from PBG could confirm here if they see this.

I still think your TL with the engineered timber was a fluke (mistake?) because the CITES restrictions had been lifted by the time you bought the kit, but I may be wrong. (wouldn't be first time)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Maybe just using up older stock rather than throwing them away or going to the effort of removing the engineered wood board and fitting rosewood (or an alternative similar wood) board ? Some kits on the PBG site are still listed as having engineered boards.

OK, thanks everyone. When I go to order I will check with Adam regarding the fingerboard specifics, as I do think the rosewood boards are the best pairing for the tortoiseshell pickguards.

Speaking of Adam, a lovely new bone nut arrived in the post today. Rather than having to shim, this one is a tiny bit too thick so I will carefully sand it down to a snug fit. It doesn't appear to be bleached either, so it's a mellow sort of yellow.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Cut, polish, and hand buff done.
    Attachment 36442Attachment 36443

The finish feels silky smooth to touch, has a good high gloss, and I think it looks good. I would grade it a B. With the light at the right angle, there are orange peel remnants that prevent me from achieving a true mirror-like reflection. In hindsight skipping wet sanding with 600 and 1200 wasn't a good idea. Working up through the micromesh grades did a great job polishing what it could, but I needed to go harder at the early stages. There is no way I am going to go back to 600 or 1200 now since I am happy with the result, but I think that I have learned enough to get an A or A+ finish next time I use lacquer.

However, this is just me being critical for the sake of improving next time. I like the finish I have, and it's exactly what I had in mind from the start.

On reflection I think the nearly 2 months drying time really helped as well. During the entire sanding and polishing process the paint surface felt hard and sanded well.

I also cut, polished, and buffed the headstock but not the neck as I didn't want to affect the nice semi-gloss sanded effect.

Looks to me you have done a good job that from what I can see in the picture that's an A my friend, waiting so long before you cut and polish was a good thing, only thing id say is don't go the 600 just go to 800 and soap then straight to a 2000g then polish. You have done a great job and you did it all the right way and the paint looks like the flake is even and not mottled, one of the best finish I've seen on the forums 👌👌👌👌

Thanks Phrozin, that's high praise mate! I will try the 800 wet with soap, 2000g and polish on my next build.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast