Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sydney lockdown - JB Bass My 1st build!

Neck sanded and now the first coats on! It’s starting to move along a bit now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks great, I really like the angular take on the traditional Fender headstock shape.
    the body colour shows off the timber grain nicely too

Nice build!

I am trying to get my head around maple fretboards, can I ask how you are planning to finish the fretboard?

Thanks guys!

FaustoB, I'm using the Dingotone Neck Finish (Colourless) for the neck, headstock and the fretboard. After two coats of the "stain" coat the neck and headstock are turning a nice light camel brown colour whereas the fretboard is largely remaining quite a pale colour but there is a nice shimmer to it. I was not expecting this - I thought colourless meant literally no colour - but I have to say I really like it!! The contrast between the neck/headstock and fretboard is quite nice. I've finished the "stain" coat on the neck now and just waiting for it to dry and then I can put the finish coat on.

The body finish has involved a lot more coats (I think I'm up to 7 now) so is taking much longer but I'm willing to be patient to get the best result. I can't wait to put it all together and play it though!!

Just to show you the contrast between neck and fretboard with the Dingotone Colourless finish

The neck colour looks nice. Weird that the neck and fretboard come out with different colours if they are both maple. I suppose that is the joy of working with wood!
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

thank you so much for taking the time to explain and for uploading the photo! Appreciate it.
    I have a fretless maple neck hanging around for a project and was interested to hear your approach.

I finished this about a month ago but forgot to put the finished photos up sorry! Here’s a few if you’re interested to see what Dingotone Karijini Red looks like on an ash body.

10. Liked by: dave.king1

12. Liked by: dave.king1

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast