Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: First build - PRS-1F

Hi everyone. I've spent the last few weeks putting layers of oil on. I have done about 26 coats on the front (sanded it 5 times) and 21 coats on the back (sanded it 4 times). Each time I got 5 coats on the front and also the back I would sand the whole thing. After the last time I sanded I have put 1 more coat of oil on. I'm pretty happy with how it has come up.
    This afternoon I will start fitting parts to it - it's a big moment.
    I'll be sure to add photo's just in case I do something dumb and need to be corrected!
    Cheers
    Phil B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Front.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	41886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Back.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	41887  

That's looking great, looks like all that patience has been paying off.

Nice gloss there. The "au naturel" look works better than I thought it would. Good work!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Looking good, very much like the headstock shape!

Thanks mate. It was my plan B shape, plan A didn't look very good!

I got a little bit done today. It was nice to be doing some different parts of the build.
    I put my copper tape in - I'm glad I was not wasting it there was hardly any left.
    Then I walloped in the mounts for the bridge.
    Hopefully the progress continues tomorrow.
    Phil B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copper Tape Front.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	41888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copper Tape Back.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	41889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tune O Matic.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	41890  

Looks good.

"Walloping" - I can't find that in the Pitbull Guide.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Hi. I've started soldering and have noticed a difference between the wiring diagram and the instruction videos. Both are for the 4 pot 2 humbucker and a 3 way switch set up but the diagram shows to connect 3 wires around the back of the pots and the video only uses 2. Which is correct? Otherwise it's going ok (just a bit messy - I haven't soldered anything in about 10 years)
    Phil

Without watching the videos to check, I'd follow the wiring diagram. It's probably only a difference in where the ground wires are connected and it doesn't make any difference if a bridge ground wire goes to the back of a volume or a tone pot (as long as the pots are all linked by a ground wire). There are numerous variations on how to wire up the controls, and still have them working just the same, so best to pick one diagram and stick with it.

Note that the PB wiring diagram omits to state that the folded back tabs on the volume pots should also be soldered to the back of the pots. It's a means of grounding the tab, though you can use a length of wire to do the same thing.

Make a cardboard template of the four control rout pot holes, fit the pots in those (remembering that the hole arrangement is reversed if you mark out the holes from the top) and do as much of the soldering as you can before fitting the pots in.

Thanks Simon. Picking 1 thing to follow sounds like great advice. I'll do that. Might get this thing built this weekend!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast