View Poll Results: Do I need a grain / sanding filler?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 61.54%
  • No

5 38.46%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Chapter in my life TL-12S SMV

New Chapter in my life TL-12S SMV

Still a bit reluctant to start so been looking for a way to practice stuff when I remembered a had an old strat copy that was given to me years ago. I remember stripping it for some parts to help out a mate. The neck was all twisted. I kept the body incase I wanted to fix it, never happened. went looking for it, found it thought this is a waste of time anyway start sanding it & its ply!! not only that, at some point it's been worked on before, a few times. It was black when i got it, turns out it was a candy red & originally a clear varnish? the body shape has been well sanded never notice it. its been a great little step forward testing my patience building this wreak. its playing but i think the frets need to be levelled the intonation seems ok but some notes don't sound right. I've named it the "F---'N Disaster" so many things went wrong & i was told to take it slow now i know why.
    pulled to hard on decals

snapped machine head screw.

Too many things to list went a bit south, patience is key.
    Last edited by Benderson; 22-02-2019 at 07:01 PM.

I like that! A lot!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

3. Liked by: Benderson

There's gotta be how many million strats out there? That is truly one of kind, in the best possible way. Mistakes or not, that's a very cool instrument.

5. Liked by: Benderson

What’s the best way to nock the frets in to the neck? Some of them are up by a bees dick. I’m hoping I could tap em in to the finger board with out to much work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’ve no other option, take an inch wide x1/4” hardwood scrap, take a claw hammer and line the fret up with the hardwood width wise and give it a few persuasion taps.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

8. Liked by: Benderson

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    If you’ve no other option, take an inch wide x1/4” hardwood scrap, take a claw hammer and line the fret up with the hardwood width wise and give it a few persuasion taps.
    I don’t have any fret tool/ files etc. but I’ve picked it up when I was doing the intonation. I don’t even have a rocker!!!! Was just playing all the notes up & down the neck. Some buzz, sustain was out & some notes out of pitch I think is the word??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a fret rocker grab snap off style box cutter blade, break it to length and it will do the job as well as anything you'll buy over the counter

11. Liked by: Benderson

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    For a fret rocker grab snap off style box cutter blade, break it to length and it will do the job as well as anything you'll buy over the counter
    that's genius my friend.

A question about the nut Benderson - how wide is it? Is it the standard 43 mm or is it wider to accommodate the extra strings?

Quote Originally Posted by colin2121 View Post
    A question about the nut Benderson - how wide is it? Is it the standard 43 mm or is it wider to accommodate the extra strings?
    Not sure what the standard for 12 strings is but on mine it is about 48mm +/- 0.3mm. hope that helps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast