Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown 1 x 12 Pine Cabinet

Thanks BD. It's getting there!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Ha! Now that could go very wrong... I'm allergic to bee stings!

Looking at last night's to-do list that I posted, I may have been a little over-ambitious...
    Especially since I forgot a I had a doctor's appointment this morning, so that broke my stride a bit.
    These are the things I did manage to get done:

- Round-over routing (that was a high anxiety activity!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Round-over.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	41168

- I was able to satisfactorily fix the top back panel without having to cut a new one. A bit of veneer closed the gap well enough.

Name:	Back panel fix.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	41169

- The "annoying gap on the bottom front right corner" has been fixed also.

Name:	Gap fill.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	41170

Yeah, I could have just whacked some Timbermate in there and called it good, but where's the fun in that???
    I sliced a teensy piece of pine and finessed it into the gap with some Titebond.

I know it will covered by a metal corner, but if I left the gap, I'd always know it was there!

Oh, I also realised my baffle board mounting battens were going to clash with the basket frame of the speaker, so I routed a little dip in the centre of each one (see top pic). All sorted now!

Tomorrow shall entail RO sanding likely followed by more sanding...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Hope you don't get any buzzing from the cabinet then!

All coming along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    My wife wanted a hive but is deathly allergic to bees, so I got the supreme honor of beecoming the family beekeeper. On more than one occasion I've received 20-30 stings within a 2-3 minute period. Bees suck! (save the bees).

I have decided I need to stop posting my "next day's agenda" in my updates...
    I either make a list that's just too ambitious, or realise that I actually need to do X before I can do Y, and it becomes more like I've set myself up for failure when I don't accomplish what's on the list.

Whilst I don't feel like did much today, there was at least some progress and I tidied up a few things along the way.

I managed to cut the speaker hole in the baffle board and trimmed it up to better accommodate the grill cloth. I took that into consideration when I initially cut it, but I think it would have still been a bit tight.
    I was a little anxious about cutting the hole as I did it with the router, but it came out great. I just want to round over the exterior edge a bit and call it good.

Name:	Cab w baffle.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	41198

I also located and drilled the mounting holes for the handle.
    However, when I ordered the fixing screws, I miscalculated the length, so have ordered some longer ones to go through the 21mm pine. I could have recessed the T nuts on the inside and use the shorter ones, but chose to wait and go with longer.

The baffle and back panels are just friction-fitted at the moment, but it's starting to look like a speaker cabinet now.
    I'm ready to set out their screw locations and drill them (hopefully tomorrow ).
    Then it's moving on to some filling, sanding and finishing!

Name:	Cab w back panels.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	41199

...whilst not forgetting to drill a hole for the speaker jack mounting plate.

Can I point out that Fender would normally have some thin strips of wood (about 3mm deep) around the edge of the baffle board to hold the grille cloth away from the board and speaker. Have you left enough depth in the mounting of the baffle to allow for this? Though as you seem to be rear mounting the speaker this may not be necessary (though these may need to be recessed to avoid leaving any small bulges in the cloth).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    ...whilst not forgetting to drill a hole for the speaker jack mounting plate.

Can I point out that Fender would normally have some thin strips of wood (about 3mm deep) around the edge of the baffle board to hold the grille cloth away from the board and speaker. Have you left enough depth in the mounting of the baffle to allow for this? Though as you seem to be rear mounting the speaker this may not be necessary (though these may need to be recessed to avoid leaving any small bulges in the cloth).
    I have done Fender-style baffle boards in the past, and used the stand-off strips for the grill cloth, however I'm not going that route here.
    You are correct that I'm rear-mounting (can I say that here? ) the speaker and will be applying the grill cloth directly over the baffle board.
    I going to recess the T nuts on the front of the baffle so they're flush and mounting the speaker with M4 screws just the right length that won't protrude beyond the T nut so there won't be any bumps in the grill cloth. The board and T nuts will be black also.

And yes, not forgetting the jack hole! (can I say that here???) Pardon my sophomoric humour... I must be extra tired tonight...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast