Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Finish Colour and Type - Can't Decide!

HELP! Finish Colour and Type - Can't Decide!

As i've just finished off a PBG i've decided to start another project and try and put some of my lessons from my very first build into a second.

Its a non PBG so hope its ok to post on here for some advice.

I've started sanding but have 2 major things i just can't decide on, the first being should i grain fill and pre seal and the second is what colour should i finish this in.

The guitar is a mahogany body, neck and headstock, with a maple fretboard and hard maple body top. I've included a pic (hope that's ok) of the body so you can see.

The only things i know are:

1. Would like to make the back of the body and the headstock, neck darker than the body top (should be easy given its mahogany)
    2. Don't want just a plain clear finish on the maple as i find its a bit light at the moment
    3. Maybe a light colour stain?

I figure that given i keep changing my mind i would throw it open to everyone here and get some feedback

I would like to make the grain stand out more but not sure if possible on the hard maple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4779.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	31645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4780.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	31646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4781.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	31647  
    Build #001 PBG SV-1 Complete
    Build #002 Non PBG PRS Style Semi Hollow Complete
    Build #003 PBG TL-1TB Complete
    Build #004 PBG IC-1 In Progress
    Build #005 SMS 7Q - In Progress

Awesome looking kit. I think I've seen it on eBay and have had to control myself and not buy one.

Can you wipe the wood down with water or naphtha/shellite to show the grain a bit?

If you want some ideas for finishes off check out the finishes on the PRS website. You probably don't have figuring to match but colour wise you should be able to do something similar.
    https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php..._hollowbody_ii

Personally I like the blue, purples, and reds:
    * Charcoal Cherry Burst
    * Violet Blue Burst
    * Faded Blue Burst
    * Purple Mist

If you want more yellow or brown tones then I quite like Black Gold Wrap Burst and Autumn Sky.
    Last edited by kuanjb; 14-07-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Or the northern lights finish which there are some guides online on how to recreate. You'll need some flaming to make it look good though compared to just a simple burst.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IlmD58b

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

I hadn't intended on getting this kit but i just couldn't resist...!

I was going to wipe with spirits to see the grain better but its wet and cold at the moment so haven't had the chance.

I'm a massive fan of the tampas green that PRS do from your link, but just worried about the fact its hard maple and isn't one the nice curly or tiger finishes so wasn't sure how it would look.

Like the purples so that might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kuanjb View Post
    Or the northern lights finish which there are some guides online on how to recreate. You'll need some flaming to make it look good though compared to just a simple burst.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IlmD58b

Thanks for that, awesome instructions! I think again i'm just worried i don't have the grain to pull off suck a nice look.

If there's not enough figuring could you maybe put a veneer on it? I'm personally of the opinion that using high grade solid wood is a complete waste. I think the PRS SE models and Epiphone LPs use veneers over solid maple caps.

Unfortunately my skill level doesn’t allow for putting on a veneer, at least not yet :-)

Personally I don't think a grain has to be flame, curly or tiger strip to look good.
    From what I can see in the photo (granted hard to see all the detail) I find the grain pattern interesting enough.
    I can't see if there are any seams in the cap from the photo though.

I did an alder strat with just Tru Oil (and alder is not known for having outstanding grain) and it came out great IMO. Had lots of compliments on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 strat body fnt sm.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	31648

edited to add pic
    Last edited by McCreed; 14-07-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Personally I don't think a grain has to be flame, curly or tiger strip to look good.
    From what I can see in the photo (granted hard to see all the detail) I find the grain pattern interesting enough.
    I do agree. I actually quite like some of the Gibson LP models which don't have figured tops. The pattern on some of those is very similar to what you have.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAYNB...KU-LPST00TNCH1

Yeah there is one seem line but hard to see in pic. Good point about the LPs as they look nice with non figured tops. Was looking at tru oil to start with but worried to top will end up a little too light for me. Doesn’t need to be dark just not really light.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast