Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trying my first electric...ES1F

Thanks! I never considered the possibility of the oil soaking through and affecting the glue.
    And the doctor said "Give him jug band music; it seems to make him feel just fine..."

Thanks, Simon...seems to be a consensus...
    And the doctor said "Give him jug band music; it seems to make him feel just fine..."

I glued the ebony headstock veneer. This should really have been done before I started the finish, but it's a learning process. Here it is after (very) rough shaping. I used a pin vice to drill pilot holes for the machine heads; I'll enlarge the holes by hand.

BTW...in the background you can see my other hobby. I like to build wooden models of sailing ships. That is HMS Snake. She was a brig-sloop, also known as a sloop of war. She was launched in 1797 carrying a crew of about 120 with sixteen 32 pound carronades and two 16 pound chase guns.

Carry on...back to building guitars.

OK, this thread has almost fallen to page four, so I guess I need to update.
    The pic on the left is after the first washcoat of dye. The wipeon finish has three base layers and I used two coats of the first base, four coats of the second base.

The picture on the right is after a second coat of the third base layer. The difference is subtle in the pictures.

One final coat of the stain then the clear gloss coat.

Looking good John!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I have almost completed putting on the base layers. I looked at the small bottle of clear gloss finish and the finish has all dried up in the bottle. I have emailed the original vendor but haven't received a response.

Question: can I just spray lacquer over the Wudtone? I know I can get nitrocellulose in a rattle can from Stewmac. Any thoughts?

I have no experience with Wudtone so I have no idea. if Wudtone don't get back to you soon, then if you already have some nitro, then I'd try some base layer on a scrap bit of wood, spray nitro over that and watch for any reaction.

Thanks. Good idea. Unfortunately, I don't have any nitro, so I would have to buy it. I did hear back from the original vendor and they expect to have the gloss coat in stock in a week or so.

Wow it's been a while since my last post. I did use lacquer instead of reordering wipe on clear coat. I used a gloss on the body and a satin on the neck. I tried my hand at soldering...first time since shop class age 12...LBJ was president and The Beatles released Sergeant Pepper that year.

Anyway, I think I got the wiring harness soldered correctly.

I haven't yet wired the pickups to the harness, but they've been installed.

I waited two full weeks for the clearcoat to dry before buffing. During the wait, I had another project. I was in a local music shop and they were selling Squier Strats for $100 USD.

Why not, for a hundred bucks? The neck and fingerboard were OK, but the frets were sharp enough to draw blood. I ordered a new neck from Warmoth, Maple with ebony. The pickups sounded thin and the machine heads felt like they were made out of tin (well, whaddayawant for a C-note?) I got some Sperzel locking tuners and a pickguard loaded with Stewmac golden age single coils. It now plays and sounds good. I like the look, too.

So, that's how I've been spending my winter.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast