Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Irish ES-1 / 335 Copper Top

Cheers for the info Simon, much appreciated 🙏
    Thought I'd be fine with the humbucker but wasn't sure what to expect from the vanson p90. Might try without but add a longish one to the back of a pot that'll be ready to feed up to the bridge if needed so the whole harness doesn't need to be removed again.
    Have a tele missing the bridge ground and there is a slight hum until you touch the strings. Easy fix but not got round to it. Makes the big muff even more wild

That looks awesome.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Thanks fretworn. Really can't wait to see how she sounds and plays now

Quote Originally Posted by Jbuller7 View Post
    Have a tele missing the bridge ground and there is a slight hum until you touch the strings. Easy fix but not got round to it. Makes the big muff even more wild
    That doesn't sound like a missing ground, it does sound like it's grounded or you wouldn't reduce the hum level by touching the strings. The baseplate on the bridge pickup is grounded and the mounting screws pass through this and so normally end up grounding the bridge by default. I prefer to add a definite ground wire to make sure, but you can normally get by without one. A multimeter to check the resistance from the bridge to the metal of the output jack is all that's required to see if you have continuity or not.

(Note that some cheap Tele bridge pickups lack the metal baseplate that makes up such a part of the Tele sound, so these would definitely need a bridge ground wire).

Earth and positive on the jack arse-about-face?

cheers, Mark.

No, you'd just get permanent buzz that would be made even worse when you touched the strings. Note that it's a slight hum, not a loud one, so it's probably just standard single-coil hum that could be improved be cavity screening.

Will have a look over the holidays. Cavity shielded and ground wire were fitted and checked everywhere bu the bridge. Maybe 1 has come away

Hopefully get some pictures up later but we're nearly at the playing stage now. Frets levelled and polished, lacquer flattened and polished, wiring completed and installed, strings on and plugged in. Losed neck pickup wire or switch wire as there is an intermittent loose connection buzz when switching between pickups but it stops when you finger the pickup wire in the f hole (lol). All back out and rechecked later hopefully. Guitar sounds sweet acoustic.

Photo update

Morning all,
    So xmas has passed and we're into a new year. Didn't quite get everything finished for the 31st as i'd been hoping as the boiler started leaking oil and a few broken tiles had to be fixed on the roof which was apparently more important.
    Also got the Epiphone that the new guitar is replacing sold within 4 hours of posting it online so its been a good holiday break.

Anyway back to the point in hand... the 335 is completed now apart from a headstock logo. its going to be a silver celtic knot like the control nobs but haven't found the right one yet. Really happy with how it all turned out. The piano finish on the headstock is pretty on point with the copper edge. Must find the original 335 drawing that I coloured in while playing with ideas to see how close I got.

Absolute minimal earth hum through the valve amp despite not installing the bridge ground wire so don't think i'll risk removing the bridge post bush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fret level.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	33142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	33143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final5.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	33144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final1.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	33145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180327_230339_261[1].jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	33146  

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast