Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12 string

12 string

Hi everyone

Thinking of doing a 12 string for my next build, has anyone completed one of these? Trying to find posts but I can’t seem to find any

Thanks

Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

The ES-1 12 string seems to no longer be available from PBG, at least ATM.

The bridge on the TL-12s is poor and really needs to be upgraded to the Gotoh bridge it is a bad copy of (unless the bridge has been upgraded very recently as there were a few complaints).

Thanks for this everyone! Gives me a nice amount of reading

im thinking of getting a custom order, ATL-1FB “THINLINE in a 12 string

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ic-guitar-kit/

As i would like a semi hollow style TL, would it be wise for me to ask for the holes to be drilled for string through or should i do this myself, as simon has suggested i get the gotoh 12 string bridge. i'm not sure if things would line up properly. thats if this model can have a string through.

thanks
    Last edited by Barry snook; 18-10-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry snook View Post
    Thanks for this everyone! Gives me a nice amount of reading

im thinking of getting a custom order, ATL-1FB “THINLINE in a 12 string

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ic-guitar-kit/

As i would like a semi hollow style TL, would it be wise for me to ask for the holes to be drilled for string through or should i do this myself, as simon has suggested i get the gotoh 12 string bridge. i'm not sure if things would line up properly. thats if this model can have a string through.

thanks
    Someone else can probably chime in to confirm but I expect that the centre strip of the guitar would be solid. Have a look at my scratch tele thinline build and you will see the inside of my one, I would expect the pitbull kit semi-hollows to have similar chambering.

With regards to the string through holes and whether you should do it yourself, do you have access to a drill press?

Here is some useful links for drilling string through holes.
    https://reverb.com/item/1008819-tele...e-luthier-tool
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/drilli...s-help.704327/

You’d get 6 strings through the body and 6 strings that top load, both with the kit bridge and the Gotoh one. There isn’t room for all 12 strings to string-through) The kit bridge used to date is dimensionally identical to the Gotoh, but the saddle heights for each string pair are different by 1-1.5mm (they should be the same) and the holes that should allow the bridge to be intonated correctly for R/H use aren’t tapped for the screw, so proper intonation can only be achieved if used on a L/H guitar or you swap out the nut and fit the string pairs the Rickenbacker way with the heavy string at the top (though the string heights will still be different so playing up the neck will be awkward).

The factory isn’t well known for getting its string-through holes lined up very well, so you may feel happier drilling the holes yourself. It’s not too hard to do and you’ve a much better chance of getting your ferrules in a nice straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Someone else can probably chime in to confirm but I expect that the centre strip of the guitar would be solid. Have a look at my scratch tele thinline build and you will see the inside of my one, I would expect the pitbull kit semi-hollows to have similar chambering.

With regards to the string through holes and whether you should do it yourself, do you have access to a drill press?

Here is some useful links for drilling string through holes.
    https://reverb.com/item/1008819-tele...e-luthier-tool
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/drilli...s-help.704327/
    Thanks for that, no access to a drill press, but i'm fairly sure with the help from those links i would be able to manage it.

You have some skills with that scratch build, and also recovering from that split!!! good to see the inside, i'm pretty sure this would be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You’d get 6 strings through the body and 6 strings that top load, both with the kit bridge and the Gotoh one. There isn’t room for all 12 strings to string-through) The kit bridge used to date is dimensionally identical to the Gotoh, but the saddle heights for each string pair are different by 1-1.5mm (they should be the same) and the holes that should allow the bridge to be intonated correctly for R/H use aren’t tapped for the screw, so proper intonation can only be achieved if used on a L/H guitar or you swap out the nut and fit the string pairs the Rickenbacker way with the heavy string at the top (though the string heights will still be different so playing up the neck will be awkward).

The factory isn’t well known for getting its string-through holes lined up very well, so you may feel happier drilling the holes yourself. It’s not too hard to do and you’ve a much better chance of getting your ferrules in a nice straight line.
    good to know, its a shame the bridge is like that, well i think ill give it a go at drilling though myself

I've used a basic drill stand with a normal drill to do it very well, just setting it up to drill through the hole at the bottom of the stand. Use the bridge holes as a template for marking the positions on the top, then drill the two E string holes all the way through and the four inner holes 2/3 the way though. Then turn the body over, use the two E string holes to line up the bridge, then again use the bridge holes to mark the 4 inner string hole positions, and drill those through about halfway until the holes line up. That way your top and rear string holes should be in a nice straight line.

11. Liked by: Barry snook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast