Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First Guitar - EXM-1 - Built at 15 with my dad.

No, not pontificating at all. That's very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to sketch that up and explain. Yes it makes sense. I think something along the lines (so to speak) of 1 is what I was thinking, but as you say the end result will depend on what precisely my boy has in mind. (I was thinking curve but a straight line might better fit the angularity of the explorer theme.) But we'll stay away from the likes of 4. Cheers
    Builds:
    Under way - EXM-1

Yes, very helpful and useful drawings and info FW.
    I will definitely be doing something similar on my next set neck build. It's the one area I regret not putting more thought into with my PRS-1TS build. Oh well, there is at least one lesson in each build!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hi guys,
    A quick question on the build.
    Looking at the neck I have noticed a slight convex bow. The neck, I assume, should be level such as the black line in the diagram. However ours has the red line. You can see the gap under the ruler on the two images below.

Could I get some expert opinion on this?
    Options:
    1. level this by sanding
    2. shim up the end with a thin slice of wood
    3. just glue it in place as is, using two clamps to try and straighten it

Builds:
    Under way - EXM-1

I have had this issue before on a couple of Pitbull necks an one of my own manufacture.
    I would probably use a flat wood block with 40 or 60 grit attached.

FIrst other thing to check is that the whole heel is square at the base and that the fretboard is square to that. Depending on how worn the factory templates are this can sometimes all be out of whack. PBG have worked really hard with their vendors on QC, but occasionally things slip through.

You mark a straight reference line from rear to front of heel on both sides, describing your ideal line. You need to be careful about how much comes off as this will also add to your action height slightly.
    You then insure that your reference line measures up the same at front and back on both sides. I tend to measure from fretboard join for this. (If the neck is not totally squared up this is fairly difficult)

Then its a case of REALLY CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY sanding with low grits, checking constantly that you aren’t either making it worse or creating a new luthiers challenge for yourself.

If you want to get fiddly you can set up guide rails level with the reference line, and rest your block on those to keep it all square.

Hope this helps,

FW
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks FrankenWashie
    Builds:
    Under way - EXM-1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3