Thread: Tele 12 string

Tele 12 string

Hello again fellow builders! Thought I'd try a 12 string this time around. Haven't emptied the packing box yet but would like to know when tuning strings do both the eg Low-E's actually have to sound the same?

G'day Greg,
    The thinner strings are tuned an octave above the standard set of 6.

E and B, their pairs are tuned to the same note ie, E and B. G through E their pairs are an octave higher
    Last edited by Rossc0; 15-07-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Oh bugger me, thanks Rossco I'm a bit out of practice

Then there's the matter of whether you have the octave strings below the normal strings... or above them, a la Rickenbacker! My electric 12 has the octaves underneath the normal strings and I'd have to cut a new nut to reverse them...

I've tuned the E and B strings in fourths and fifths, just for the lols, - and got some truely strange sounds! - but unison seems to be the right place...
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    Then there's the matter of whether you have the octave strings below the normal strings... or above them, a la Rickenbacker! My electric 12 has the octaves underneath the normal strings and I'd have to cut a new nut to reverse them...

I've tuned the E and B strings in fourths and fifths, just for the lols, - and got some truely strange sounds! - but unison seems to be the right place...
    Yes, lots of folks tune those high 2 just off straight, for giggles.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Made a lot of progress over the past couple of weeks. Used a stain again (maple) and found the electrics on this one fairly simple with only the two pots. Had more success with this one compared to the Tele I built some years ago (I was less experienced!!). I wish Pit Bull would stop including their hopeless strings though I did use them just to get a handle on stringing a 12er. Just put some D-Addario's on today and it sounds sweet. Included a pic of the finished article. Thanks to those guys who answered my query about the octaves.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190802_181225.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	31805

Just a thought - has anyone tried a two-neck yet? Probably the only one left for me to try. My inventory to date includes a Strat, LP, Tele (6str), Precision Bass, SG, ES335, LP hollow, Resonator and the 12er. Oh I also have a 'real' guitar, acoustic Maton 225. Cheers.