Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Marcel's folley #6 a PRS-1H

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    I tried to do what you said Phrozin, but it seems any luck has abandoned me for greener pastures...

Left it for the better part of a week to let it 'cure'. Got some 320 wrapped around a short piece of dowel rod and it was working great, that was until I hit the soft centre. Little balls of firm and still un-cured poly suddenly erupted from under the offensive wave. I cleared them away as best I could and was left with a gaping trench that showed exactly how thick that last coat was. I resigned to the fact that this would become a scar and continued to sand around the trench to minimise the cliff faces. I also scuff sanded the whole build and then put on another very thin coat of poly.

While I pondered over the mess that I have made for myself I wondered if there was any way to cover it up, and interestingly I toyed with the idea of fitting a pick-guard. Not your normal thing for a PRS build, but a modified LP guard would substantially mask off this scar, effectively hiding it.... I have a few spare LP guards of various colours, so I'll keep that thought in reserve...
    That's a bummer Marcel i feel for mate nothing worse when its coming along really nice and some ugliness shows its head been down that road as well

I tried to do what you said Phrozin, but it seems any luck has abandoned me for greener pastures...

Left it for the better part of a week to let it 'cure'. Got some 320 wrapped around a short piece of dowel rod and it was working great, that was until I hit the soft centre. Little balls of firm and still un-cured poly suddenly erupted from under the offensive wave. I cleared them away as best I could and was left with a gaping trench that showed exactly how thick that last coat was. I resigned to the fact that this would become a scar and continued to sand around the trench to minimise the cliff faces. I also scuff sanded the whole build and then put on another very thin coat of poly.

While I pondered over the mess that I have made for myself I wondered if there was any way to cover it up, and interestingly I toyed with the idea of fitting a pick-guard. Not your normal thing for a PRS build, but a modified LP guard would substantially mask off this scar, effectively hiding it.... I have a few spare LP guards of various colours, so I'll keep that thought in reserve...
    I could see a cream coloured LP guard looking quite nice on that guitar, mate! Good thinking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Read your comment about the trapeze tailpiece marcel, I think that would make it look pretty nice

(I am also doing the same kit, I am thinking of doing that)
    Last edited by thyoungscientist; 09-12-2017 at 05:24 PM.

I did have those thoughts of using a trapeze but have gone with an adjustable Gold wraparound bridge from guitar fetish. Hoping it will be here this week

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Gold-Bad...dge_p_376.html

And over the past few days I've managed to get the blemish fixed. Some careful sanding and some additional coats of clear has rendered the blemish near invisible. I doubt there will be a need for a pick guard now.

That’s Great! and yeah I might just stick with an adjustable bridge

Had some time to do a little thinking over this build after a comment was made to me about the F holes.

The comment was the F holes are too big, and as the builder I'd beg to disagree... main reason... all the electronics (as in the pots and switch) has to get fitted via those oversized F holes... there is nil back plate to cover a hole for electronics access.

Which leaves me with what to do if I want phase reversal or coil splitting... Yeah, it is easy enough to wire it up any way I want, but there is that huge F hole gap between the switch and the pots, and nobody like seeing wires all higgaldy-pickaldy across F hole gaps, that's just Yuk! ... so what to do ???

Thinking.... planning... thinking.... planing....thinking....

Did some of the hardware fit out this afternoon. ... It seems perfection is not my strong point. It all seems only just okay to me...

The new bridge itself is fine, just wish the posts would go deeper in. I cleaned out the holes with a drill but they still sit proud about 2 or 3 mm which is enough to make the action very ho-hummm... I think I need a bigger hammer, but that brings on a whole new set of issues. And getting them out might be a nightmare in itself considering how hard I had to hit them to get them this far.

Will be going the HB/SC switching option on this one. Pull switches on both the vol and tone controls --- vol = neck, tone = bridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171212_145547_resized.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	369.8 KB 
ID:	23681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171212_145714_resized.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	465.9 KB 
ID:	23682  

Did some of the hardware fit out this afternoon. ... It seems perfection is not my strong point. It all seems only just okay to me...

The new bridge itself is fine, just wish the posts would go deeper in. I cleaned out the holes with a drill but they still sit proud about 2 or 3 mm which is enough to make the action very ho-hummm... I think I need a bigger hammer, but that brings on a whole new set of issues. And getting them out might be a nightmare in itself considering how hard I had to hit them to get them this far.

Will be going the HB/SC switching option on this one. Pull switches on both the vol and tone controls --- vol = neck, tone = bridge.
    That's going to look schmick, with the gold, black and red, Marcel! I like it!

I wouldn't be bashing in the bridge posts until it's ready for wiring, if you pull it out and knock it back in it will be a looser fit each time, and you want the bridge earth wire to be nice and firm (unlike my last attempt!)
    1st build - Blue ES-12G ->-Build Diary-<-

2nd build - Father/Son collaboration MB-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

3rd build - GR-SF1 ->-Build Diary-<-

4th build - FS-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    That's going to look schmick, with the gold, black and red, Marcel! I like it!

I wouldn't be bashing in the bridge posts until it's ready for wiring, if you pull it out and knock it back in it will be a looser fit each time, and you want the bridge earth wire to be nice and firm (unlike my last attempt!)
    I doubt I could pull the bridge posts out even if I wanted to.... They are in pretty damn tight, and they need to go in a few more mm yet. I used a offcut of ply as a cushion when whacking them in this far and now that ply is all dented which is why I stopped. I wish I had my Dad's old fly-press that could give a few tonnes of pressure nice and steady and gently and the job would be so much simpler. I just have to make do with a piece of Pine or Maple and a bigger hammer. The alternative is build a lever-press out of Uni-strutt which is a lot of effort for one task, but may do the job better. Oh-well, this is yet another thing to ponder over...

I doubt I could pull the bridge posts out even if I wanted to.... They are in pretty damn tight, and they need to go in a few more mm yet. I used a offcut of ply as a cushion when whacking them in this far and now that ply is all dented which is why I stopped. I wish I had my Dad's old fly-press that could give a few tonnes of pressure nice and steady and gently and the job would be so much simpler. I just have to make do with a piece of Pine or Maple and a bigger hammer. The alternative is build a lever-press out of Uni-strutt which is a lot of effort for one task, but may do the job better. Oh-well, this is yet another thing to ponder over...
    I used a short socket extension as a drift, one sharp hit at a time. It’s nerve wracking!
    1st build - Blue ES-12G ->-Build Diary-<-

2nd build - Father/Son collaboration MB-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

3rd build - GR-SF1 ->-Build Diary-<-

4th build - FS-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast