Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody make a 5 string Flying V Bass?

Does anybody make a 5 string Flying V Bass?

There’s something about the V body shape that appeals to me sometimes. The Dean Metalman V Bass is looking really good right now. Id like to just buy a Dean Metalman V outright but there’s only one problem....it’s a 4 string and I need a 5. Ah...plus, we can build a better axes from these kits!

After a little research, I discovered there is no such thing as a 5 string Flying V bass! Ok...there’s this Chinese Jackson Rhodes knockoff but that’s not quite the same.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F064A42D-6E1D-44BD-8CBD-9C55FDDA4318.jpeg 
Views:	219 
Size:	433.9 KB 
ID:	35664

That would be a great kit! I might just settle for making the DIY Pitbull V bass kit and string it BEAD instead of EADG.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B3116EF8-8746-4990-A064-FD05F42299D5.jpeg 
Views:	181 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	35663

Name:	DC7DFAA2-4C39-4B9A-87CE-725F6819042F.jpeg 
Views:	863 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	35665
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 11-06-2020 at 09:55 AM.

You might be able to do this with a custom order. The page does say some bodies can't be modified for more strings but it doesn't specify, so it's probably worth dropping them an email about it.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

You'd need to be very specific as the factories aren't good at thinking things through logically. tell them only one pickup but they are still likely to put in a selector switch rout and drill holes for the normal complement of volume and tone knobs. So any and all changes would need to be fully detailed. Things like how do the tuners fit on the headstock? That's one good reason why you don't see a 5-string Flying V bass. The arrow headstock really limits the space available for tuners, so to fit 5 tuners in would make it a very large headstock. Try drawing it out for yourself. And do you go 3+2, 2+3 or even 4+1 etc? The Explorer-shaped banana headstock makes fitting 5 tuners on a lot easier, but it does detract from the general V styling. You could stick one right on the point of the arrowhead, but it would look rather strange, even if it was practical.

Lightweight mini tuners would help, say some Hipshot units, but you won't get them cheaply and would hugely increase the kit price if they were supplied with the kit (allowing for standard percentage mark-ups).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You'd need to be very specific as the factories aren't good at thinking things through logically. tell them only one pickup but they are still likely to put in a selector switch rout and drill holes for the normal complement of volume and tone knobs. So any and all changes would need to be fully detailed. Things like how do the tuners fit on the headstock? That's one good reason why you don't see a f5-string Flying V bass. The arrow headstock really limits the space available for tuners, so to fit 5 tuners in would make it a very large headstock. Try drawing it out for yourself. And do you go 3+2, 2+3 or even 4+1 etc? The Explorer-shaped banana headstock makes fitting 5 tuners on a lot easier, but it does detract from the general V styling. You could stick one right on the point of the arrowhead, but it would look rather strange, even if it was practical.

Lightweight mini tuners would help, say some Hipshot units, but you won't get them cheaply and would hugely increase the kit price if they were supplied with the kit (allowing for standard percentage mark-ups).
    You guys are both 100% right. I did send in an email, and it does look like one can be made. I’m going to place the order with detailed specs in a few days.

Regarding the headstock, I hope they can make something like what’s shown in the photo below.

Name:	7DFDB16C-184F-407D-A51D-6D428DED337F.jpeg 
Views:	160 
Size:	442.8 KB 
ID:	36263

I’m also going to see if they can make a neck with 24 frets.

I might ask them to rout the volume and tone control cavity and not drill the holes for the controls. A switch could be used in a one pickup bass as a kill switch / stutter switch. I did that to a guitar in the ‘80s. It can also be used to make a coil splitting effect with active pickups so if the holes are drilled for that, it won’t bother me.

I’ll be a somewhat upgraded (5 string, better neck joint, upgraded bridge and tuners) Dean Metalman V type guitar. That’s the goal.

Name:	A0480D53-F3B6-4A70-9181-6DD966A90861.jpeg 
Views:	179 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	36264

Just be aware the more complicated your request, the more opportunity for the factory to get something wrong.

Speaking from experience, I ordered a custom (also a V, but a guitar) with a few different customizations and the biggest one was completely skipped over. Wanted the control cavity routed from the rear instead of the top so I wouldn't need a pickguard, but they still top routed it. Got the GS-2Q I'm working on now instead of a refund.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
    Just be aware the more complicated your request, the more opportunity for the factory to get something wrong.

Speaking from experience, I ordered a custom (also a V, but a guitar) with a few different customizations and the biggest one was completely skipped over. Wanted the control cavity routed from the rear instead of the top so I wouldn't need a pickguard, but they still top routed it. Got the GS-2Q I'm working on now instead of a refund.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I looked up your GS-2Q build and that’s some good work! This will be my 2nd build (first was an EX-5 Bass). I just want to do a quality loss black finish this time. The paint on my 1st build settled into the wood over time and the underlying sanding scratches show. Hey, I can live with it. I’ll do better next time.

I’m not really worried about the body of the bass. I’m reconsidering the single pickup idea....I don’t use the neck pickup on my guitar but for bass....it might be useful to have it. Where they could screw up is the headstock. I’m imagining a nightmare where the holes are so close together that the tuning machines won’t fit.

I am considering requesting the neck be sent with an extra large blank paddle with no tuning machine holes. That way, I should be able to shape an arrow headstock and make certain the tuners have enough room.

This really is the goal. For headstocks, I want it big...maybe I should do this myself.

Name:	A7682C7A-D7BD-42CE-94E9-13D0E3A2B309.jpeg 
Views:	383 
Size:	442.8 KB 
ID:	36294

What to you guys think? Coping saw, careful drilling?
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 01-07-2020 at 02:15 PM.

I don't think Pit Bull is the place to go for this sort of custom job. If it's not a simple modification of an existing model, or something that can be simply assembled from parts from two models made by the same factory (as PB get their kits from several factories), there is an almost certain chance that something will go wrong and you won't get what you want. It's just not that sort of custom shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I don't think Pit Bull is the place to go for this sort of custom job. If it's not a simple modification of an existing model, or something that can be simply assembled from parts from two models made by the same factory (as PB get their kits from several factories), there is an almost certain chance that something will go wrong and you won't get what you want. It's just not that sort of custom shop.
    Thanks, Simon. An almost certain chance something will go wrong?! Lol. That’s the story of my life. I am sure you are right but there is no stopping me. No guts, no glory! Here’s the thing...a 5 string V bass does not exist so I’m already unable to get the instrument I want - I’m willing to take a chance.

If I get a box of bits and pieces that don’t fit together, or they send me the wrong neck, I’ll make the best of it. Thanks for the warning, my friend.
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 02-07-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Update

Just an update for anybody who is interested...

I sent in the specs and placed the order for a 5 string V bass kit. To make it as practical as possible, I requested a MMB-5 neck since it looks like I can shape the headstock close to the traditional arrowhead shape.

Name:	93CB60D4-DDB3-4D58-88FF-1BD9B4659388.jpeg 
Views:	192 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	36551

It’s basically a mashup of the MMB-5 kit and a modded FVB kit body.

We’ll see how it turns out, lol. The only thing that would ruin my day would be if the 5 string neck didn’t fit into the neck pocket. If the factory gets that part right, I can deal with anything else.

Hopefully I’ll have some pics of the kit posted in November.
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 19-07-2020 at 02:42 AM. Reason: ADD

All I can say is I hope you have a strong left arm and shoulder. It’s going to be very neck heavy.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast