Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: JB-4M - First Build!

Hi Glen, looks pretty good to me. Like you I had limited workspace (the kitchen table with a towel on it was regularly used later), but also shaped the headstock with a coping saw, rasps and sandpaper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headstock Shaping_1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	33851

As recommended in the forum, just remember to sand, sand and then sand some more... then hand it to someone else for sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    For my PBA-4 I used Timbermate to do the grain filling and that is available at that big green shed.
    From advice on this forum and personal experience. If you use Timermate, any paint over it will shrink back any 'grain filled' areas.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    From advice on this forum and personal experience. If you use Timermate, any paint over it will shrink back any 'grain filled' areas.
    Sorry Mark, how do you mean? Is Timbermate not the best product for this application?

It's O.K. under stain (not that I have experience with that), however under paint it will shrink back.
    I'm assuming that anything water-based would do the same.

I use heavy duty bog to fill damaged areas and holes that I'm going to paint over.
    Hopefully somebody will chime in with some alternative for grain filling.

cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark.
    Can anyone else offer advice here on a decent filler available in Aus?
    I even considered going straight to this but don’t know if it would be sufficient:
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-wa...ealer_p1564778

Timbermate is ok, but since it is water based, often a finish can cause it to release. As with many things, try a test on a sample if you can. One method that can help is when spraying a finish do it very lightly the first few layers - this help bind the filler without disturbing it. Once you have done that you are good to go

Quote Originally Posted by glenwilliam View Post
    Thanks Mark.
    Can anyone else offer advice here on a decent filler available in Aus?
    I even considered going straight to this but don’t know if it would be sufficient:
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-wa...ealer_p1564778
    As it's oil based and not water, it may do the job.
    Have not used it myself.
    Probably should have on my 'ash' tele-strat. But will be a while before I get around to that.

cheers, Mark.

So I ended up going with the Feast Watson sand sealer after reading a bunch of reviews on the internets.
    Here's a little preview of what I was dealing with. I think this was after the first coat:

Name:	uMFspyMh.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	34033

I did quite a few coats of this (maybe 6 or 7) to get it to a point where I thought it was smooth enough. Then I sanded some more. In the end I think I could have done with even more sanding at a lower grit because the nitro is not suuuper smooth at this point. But after 1 coat of the Surf Green it looked like this:

Name:	XgnUntch.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	34034

Name:	tAtuLSoh.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	34035

And here we are after the 3rd coat:

Name:	EmApZsxh.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	34036

Name:	a9dHH9zh.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	34037

So still looking a little grainy and I think the sanding sealer is showing a little too but all in all I am very happy with the outcome of my first ever attempt! I'm looking forward to getting some clear on there (maybe one more coat of green?) and getting to the electronics and putting it all together.

Just wanted to quickly share an update on this because I'm pretty stoked with the outcome so far. Couldnt help but do a little mock build with the 4-5 coats of Surf Green and another 4-5 coats of clear over the top. Still needs a polish but is just about ready for wiring and setup. Pretty happy with my first effort!

Name:	Aef0AqSh.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	261.6 KB 
ID:	34181
    I'll post larger and more detailed pics when it's completed so you can see the finish better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast