Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Build#2 - DSCM

Yes, that’s right. The pickup and output wire connections to the volume pot are the same regardless of whether it’s ‘modern’ or ‘vintage’. It’s just the connection to the tone pot that varies. With ‘modern’, the connection is to the bottom lug, the pickup output connection, as shown in that wiring diagram. With ‘vintage’ it’s connected to the central tag, the output wire connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Yes, that’s right. The pickup and output wire connections to the volume pot are the same regardless of whether it’s ‘modern’ or ‘vintage’. It’s just the connection to the tone pot that varies. With ‘modern’, the connection is to the bottom lug, the pickup output connection, as shown in that wiring diagram. With ‘vintage’ it’s connected to the central tag, the output wire connection.
    Thanks again Simon, much appreciated

Also, don't forget to run a ground wire from a pot casing into one of the bridge or tailpiece post holes to ground the strings.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Also, don't forget to run a ground wire from a pot casing into one of the bridge or tailpiece post holes to ground the strings.
    Thanks mate, yep got that done, the black hardware is hard to get continuity but removed paint from the post, removed from bottom of threads on post and pin and tail piece as well, so far is good earth

Bit more progress, this is a 2-3 weeks ago, about half way through the clear coat. Coming up OK, put on quite few more since then, more pics coming.

Last edited by grantxx; 08-08-2022 at 06:20 PM.

More progress over the weekend, finished of the clear, and commenced wiring.

Personal logo, I am happy with it

This is not as quite as tidy as I wanted it, but again not to bad, my solder skills are still a bit shaky, before pickup installed and switch wired up, 50s style. Thanks for the links Simon, that web site is a gold mine.

The switch cavity - pretty tight in there.

All ready to install the pick ups

Quote Originally Posted by grantxx View Post
    Thanks SImon, had figured more than one application, just finished sanding the first coat and clearly needs another, after sanding, I wiped it down with metho, is a huge imporvement however, will get antoher coat on in the morning and let it sit all day, used the hardwood colour for first coat, will use mahogany for the next one or two, while its not hard to sand there is a lot to sand.

I am doing the heavy sanding with 240 then will finish use a 400 or maybe even 600 before any clear goes on, slow and steady for this one
    don't use any fluid on wood to wipe it down it will swell the wood and more filler will be necessary, just use a tack rag to remove any dust, I'm not a fan of grain filling with Timbermate, there's a lot of misinformation about sandpaper grits what grit you use depends on which paper you use 240grit on aluminium oxides is a fine grit where 240grit with wet and dry is very course, and then you have garnet and glass paper, doing a guitar body you really want to use aluminium oxides and wet and dry for sanding a paint finish and steel wool for rubbing a wood for oil finishes horses for courses

Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    don't use any fluid on wood to wipe it down it will swell the wood and more filler will be necessary, just use a tack rag to remove any dust, I'm not a fan of grain filling with Timbermate, there's a lot of misinformation about sandpaper grits what grit you use depends on which paper you use 240grit on aluminium oxides is a fine grit where 240grit with wet and dry is very course, and then you have garnet and glass paper, doing a guitar body you really want to use aluminium oxides and wet and dry for sanding a paint finish and steel wool for rubbing a wood for oil finishes horses for courses

Had no real issues was a really light wipe over with metho, but cant say I am overly impressed with timber mate, seemed to shrink alot had to do 3 times, and still was not perfect.

Ended up wet sanding it with the wipe on poly, seemed to work really well.

9. Liked by: phrozin

So all done - plays great and feels great, still have to tweak the set up a bit, letting it settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I notice you’ve got 0.047uF caps. It’s all down to personal preference, but the ‘standard’ fitment for humbuckers these days is 0.022uF, with 0.047uF being the ‘standard’ for naturally brighter single coils. The bigger the cap value, the lower the tone controm’s low-pass filter’s ‘knee’ frequency is and the more the treble and mids get rolled-off.
    Turns out spot on here Simon, I think I shall buy a couple of 0.022uF, the mids and treble roll off to quick, it is the opposite of what I was wanting to achieve - not hard to experiemnt for sure.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast