Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: My first build: left-handed JM-1L

I don't have nut files, I could probably do that if I did, maybe I should order some and cement the fact that I will have to build several more guitars

I don't see that I can slope the nut because it won't sit in the slot, so I don't think that's really an option. I already have the nut out from filing it down earlier, so that part is fine, it's just fixing this angle that's the problem. If I have to buy a new nut I need nut files anyway, so if anyone has any other DIY suggestions I'm all ears.

I wonder if it is a nut off a RH guitar that has been put in here. It would make sense that it is pivoting on the wrong side of the nut if this is the case. I'm not convinced that angling the nut will be a great solution, but it might improve it a little. I'd worry about having to increase the size of the slot, so that you are committed to always angling a nut, and then the scale will potentially always be out by a little bit. I see you are in Sydney, I can always lend you a set of files if it helps, buying things seems to take forever at the moment. :-)

Going by the slight angle of this nut I would say it looks like they put a righty one on backwards. I'll see what PBG think maybe they can send me a left-handed one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210915_153217.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	41611  
    Last edited by jarro_2783; 15-09-2021 at 02:02 PM.

+1 on Colin's comments. Basically, the kit nuts are generally rubbish. The bone nut upgrade is worth the small price, however the upgrade is not available for all kits. Definitely worth sourcing a bone nut or the TUSQ mentioned above if you can't get a suitable version from PB. I don't know the specs of the JM-1 so I don't know if a standard F-style nut will just slot straight in there and it seems the only bone nuts on PB that are specifically for lefties is for a bass.

It's never too late to learn to play right-handed. :-)
    Last edited by m0j0; 16-09-2021 at 12:30 PM.

I think I've solved the buzz. Most of it went away when I put a strip of tape across the underside of the pickguard, and made sure it touched on both sides. But I ran out of tape to fully cover it, and even so had to put a bit of aluminium foil in to fill in a gap. But as soon as that seal was made the buzz dropped drastically.

I'm not sure if covering it more will reduce the buzz even more. I'm not sure if all guitars just have a little bit of buzz or if it's actually possible to get it near zero.

My local shop has a TUSQ nut in stock for $14, so if PBG don't get back to me with one I think I will just go and get that. I will have solved all the problems except for the trem not returning to the exact same spot. But it sounds like Colin couldn't get that to work from his build either.

At 33 after playing guitar since I was 5 I feel like it is waaay too late to play right handed :P I feel like a complete beginner with a cramped left hand every time I try.

Thanks I'll try that when it's all setup. PB are sending me a bone nut and kindly sending me some more tape since they saw that I ran out.

Apparently all the left-handed nuts PB have are actually right-handed so I ended up getting a TUSQ nut from my local shop for $15. Unsurprisingly all the problems are fixed, there is no buzz and all the frets are in tune.

I'll post some pictures when I've finished the final setup and put the strap plugs on. I'll try to do a video at some point too.

Smile

Awesome! glad to hear everything is now sorted out and you can enjoy the fruits of all your hard work.

I got it from the guitar factory Penrith. https://guitarfactorypenrith.com.au/
    I was surprised they had one in stock, but they said they can order most stuff in too.

Thanks Jarro,
    Lefty here also... Two years ago I gave up after ordering 3 different nuts that were no good. Might have to try it again!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast