Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New project guitar

I finally got this guitar back in action today.

I was just waiting on the finish on the neck to set. I did the last coat of satin poly 2 weeks ago.
    Polished up the gloss poly on the front of the headstock and started the reassembly and set up.
    It came together quickly as I kept all the hardware on the body since all I did to it was the neck screw ferrules.

Set up went quickly too as everything had been adjusted before I took it apart. Even the intonation was near bang-on.

The parts I swapped or added are: black pickguard; Fender Gen 4 pickups; Alpha (Taiwan) pots & CRL 3-way switch with a reversed control plate; dome top knobs with position markers; strat switch tip for the switch (don't like the trad tele tips); solid stainless steel block saddles and a barrel-style string tree (my personal fave). I kept the stock bridge plate, tuners and nut, and of course the body & neck.
    Oh, I did upgrade the jack plate also. I was going put in an electro-socket, but that would have required filling the old plate screw holes and refinishing, so I just went with a better quality chrome plate. Still better than the old school cup jack IMO.

I had it playing well before attacking the neck and now it's back to it but with a much better feeling neck!
    (I really don't like the factory "satin". It feels like bare wood to me.) I'm very happy with it now, even if the pickups cost more than the guitar!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full front.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	440.7 KB 
ID:	40236 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front close.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	381.9 KB 
ID:	40237 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full back.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	410.5 KB 
ID:	40238

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neck join.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	40239 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hd stk fn.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	40240
    Last edited by McCreed; 23-04-2021 at 06:19 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks BD. That didn't take you long to notice!

Very nice mate. Love the colour of the neck now. Similiar although a tad darker then the J Mascis Jazzmaster.

I had a car almost that exact color in my youth. Really looks classic. Amazing how it's the same guitar as what you started with, but absolutely everything is better.

That looks great. Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I had a car almost that exact color in my youth. Really looks classic. Amazing how it's the same guitar as what you started with, but absolutely everything is better.
    Yes, the colour is Ice Blue Metallic and one reason I decided against a refinish. (the other reason is just couldn't arsed to do it )

I am regularly surprised at how much a "cheap" guitar can be improved with some finesse and TLC (and great pickups!).
    I haven't bought or owned a guitar over $800 in many years and very satisfied with all of their performance (albeit with some "performance enhancement").

Love the body colour, the guitar turned-out real nice.

I'm fascinated by how much in the Tele camp I am now. Since refinishing my TC59, and since seeing all the Teles at Grungefest recently, i.m just loving them. This one is no exception. Nice work, McC.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast