Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: JRM-1DC set neck. 1st build

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10

    JRM-1DC set neck. 1st build

    I ordered the JRM-1DC kit with a set neck. Been wanting to have a go at a kit for years, but scared I’d stuff it up. When I ordered, I was told it wouldn’t arrive until November. I was pretty stoked when it turned up Monday. Just started 2weeks leave , so jumping straight into it🎸😀 wish me luck.

  2. #2
    Member JimC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    378
    Enjoy!
    Best advice is to go slowly and do lots of test assembly and thinking time. Its so tempting to get things done, but really the longer you take to build the thing the longer the fun of doing it lasts.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the good advice Jim. I have a picture in my head of how I want this thing to turn out. Just have to go through the process of prepping, painting and assembling. I'm sick of sanding already, but I know the smoother I can get it, the better the finish will be.

    I tried to download some pics today, but wasn't able. I think the resolution must have been too high?

  4. #4
    Member JimC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    378
    yeah, there's a size limit and a bug in the forum software so it doesn't always tell you.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    2
    Uh oh, now you've got me all excited. I just ordered an IC-1 kit and it also said it would be shipped in November.
    I can only hope!

    Best of luck with your build! I hope you work out how to post pics, I'm also a first-time-builder and I'm loving watching people's projects come together on this forum.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10
    lve shaped the headstock and glued a small bit of wood in the truss rod hole. I also made the pickup route bigger (for handwound p90) and enlarged holes for CTS pots. Sanded, painted with sanding sealer, more sanding followed by a second coat of sanding sealer.
    I’ve also reshaped the heel where the neck will be glued. It was very square and ugly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51F47EAF-E714-41CC-921A-D8CAA3DE0E30.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	530.5 KB 
ID:	37372

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6CD7D60-0CE3-44E0-AEFA-A6494DDD256A.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	693.5 KB 
ID:	37373
    I took the plastic nut off, to be replaced by a Tusq nut. Not sure whether to fret dress now or after gluing the neck to the body?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10
    I sanded the second coat of sealer this morning using 400, then 600 grade paper. Felt super smooth, so thought I’d give it a coat of mahogany stain. I did a few tests on some scrap wood a few days ago and it came up great. I was too heavy handed with the stain today, applying it with a soft rag. The sides of the body look OK, but the back and front look like shite..😩
    Will let it dry then sand again. Will apply the stain with makeup wipes, sparingly this time. Definitely a case of “less is best”.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2923480F-3E9C-4DC8-B193-C5EAEDAE4FA7.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	730.1 KB 
ID:	37400
    Is meant to be “cherry red”, but looks more like poop.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10
    Here’s my test bits with a coat of clear varnish on top. That’s how it’s meant to look..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3264FFE-1F0B-4D95-9C19-CEECE76C815E.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	531.8 KB 
ID:	37402

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •