PDA

View Full Version : Dingotone Colourless & Neck

Gingerbeerd
11-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Hi,
First timer building a JBA-4M. I got a Dingotone colourless pack and was wondering if I can use this on the maple neck?
Or should I have also bought the neck kit?
If I can use what I've got, do I need to apply all coats? Stain, Intensifying & Final Coat?

What about the fingerboard which is also Maple? I am assuming not the fingerboard and that needs something else?

Cheers

FrankenWashie
15-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Hi GB,

The DT colourless will be okay on the neck, and the fretboard, the only downfall is that it is softer than the specific Neck Finish kit.
You can still use it, but it won't wear as well.
The other option is you can use a lacquer or poly on the neck and the fretboard. You will need to but some sort of finish on the fretboard itself as the maple dirties up really quickly. Hope this helps!

Andy40
19-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Hi Ginger,

You can use the DT colourless on the neck. FW is right that the final coat will be too soft.
If you want a more laquer type finish use tru oil instead of the final DT colourless coats (my preference).
If you want a non-gloss finish then gently sand the DT back to 1500 or 2000 grits and leave it blank for hand oils or use DT wax (some like that.

Its your pref.