PDA

View Full Version : November GOTM.

Brendan
02-10-2019, 09:03 PM
"November Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in October)

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars November Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) the end of October.

One guitar/bass per member per month.
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable).
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable.

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for closes at the end of October (Perth Western Australian time).

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well have the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the 'Wow Factor'· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!"

Barfly1959
13-10-2019, 04:42 PM
:DMy entry for GOTM - NOVEMBER, is a Pit Bull TBJ-5 "Fenderbird" with a Hydro-dip "rust" coating with satin clearcoat and a stainless-look scratch-plate. Just finished today! First build. Pretty happy ................

JohnH
13-10-2019, 06:29 PM
Looks ace!

Hardcoretroubadour
16-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Loving the rust treatment, looks smick

METAL Rulez 4ever
19-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Here is my entry for Oct. 2019 G.O.T.M.. TBJ-5F Thunderbird Bass Kit Build. Basswood body Shou Sugi Banned burned, then endless hours of painstaking engraving the wood grain lines. Feast and Watson Teak stain on the center of the body and brown pen ink stain on the wings. Then Scandinavian oiled and finished off with ultra gloss poly. EMG active pup in the neck and kit pup in the bridge and upgrading the bridge. I didnt have the heart to cover the grain with the scratchplate/pickguard.

fender3x
20-10-2019, 05:06 AM
Those are astounding T-Birds. They are even fall colors!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Barfly1959
21-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Maybe this month should be "Thunderbird of the Month" ;)

METAL Rulez 4ever
21-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Maybe this month should be "Thunderbird of the Month" ;)

Octoberder ! Haha

adam
25-10-2019, 05:07 PM
GPB-4 Bass from Andrew67.

"Ash body and tortoiseshell pick guard. Everything else standard. Body all natural, clear poly coat. Neck finished with Dingotone."

32580 32581 32582 32583

RocknRolf
26-10-2019, 07:44 AM
Amazing and inspiring builds guys!

PJSprog
31-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Here's the KH-1 Klein headless kit I've been building off and on (more off than on) since February. Finally finished. Paint is Krylon Dark Matte Gray from a rattle can, and Krylon clear satin finish, also from a rattle can. The neck is Minwax Classic Gray stain with Tru Oil finish. Everything is stock from the kit, with the obvious exceptions of the "Overlord of Music" tremolo bridge and head piece being replaced with J-Custom parts from HeadlessUSA.

Brendan
03-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Comp closed - opening new one shortly...

blinddrew
05-11-2019, 03:49 AM
That's a very different and polished piece their PJSprog. Tidy!

Brendan
11-11-2019, 05:57 AM
Over to the comments...

Barfly1959's TBJ-5
I love everything about this Bass. So unique and so Metal; with insipred details everywhere you look. Great job!
It's such a different but really appealing finish, like some old rusting hulk with new hardware slapped in it. The "stainless" scratchplate goes well with the black hardware (a black jack/nut would be a nice addition) and the neck colour complements the build nicely. The headstock could be a touch lighter and the sharp transition on the back tends to draw the eye, but I love the overall look. Great job.
Very interesting rusty looking finish. Love the scratch plate and neck inlays and upgraded bridge was a smart choice. Usually take marks off for no headstock logo but all is forgiven due to artwork on scratch plate instead. Awesome effort for a first build.
Unique finish. Looks amazing. Very impressive.

Metal Rulez 4ever's TB5-JF
Ancient Japanese wood burning… Naim, you have excelled yourself again. Simply stunning.
Stunning build and the effort putting into achieving that finish really shows. I think my favourite part is the grain lines on the back of the neck. Awesome. The combination of Shou Sugi Ban with the other techniques has produced an incredible looking bass. I understand the two sets of knobs, but I probably would have stuck with a matched set.
Wow, wow, wow…..that looks brilliant with how you have taken so much time and effort to pick out all the grain, including on neck & headstock. Looks like an upgrade bridge or is this what now comes stock on the fiver’s. Chicken head and traditional control knobs work well together too. I reckon this is your best looking build out of the many you have done.
Another amazing bass build from Metal Rulez. You have really perfected that technique.

Andrew67's PBA-4
Understaded P Bass goodness… I don’t know any Bass player who wouldn’t want this in their collection.
A really nice clean natural P doing full justice to that tasty piece of Ash, and the back of the body is just naturally stunning. The pickguard dominates a little, but still suits the build. Shame about the screws in front of the bridge and it would have been nice to have something to liven up the plain maple of the headstock. Very classy looking build.
Presume this is your first build and a great one to start with. Stunning grain in the body that looks one piece and commend you for keeping a natural finish to let it be on display. Tortoiseshell scratch plate fits in perfectly with the theme you have created here. Plenty of real estate available to place your own logo somewhere on the headstock to finish things off.
Simple, clean build. Looks like you had to move the bridge, but it is a good save.

PJSprog's KH-1
Wow! This Guitar needs to be in a frame at a Gallery. If Lou Reed (the only Klein player I know) were still alive, he would be all over this guitar.
These things mess with my head, but I love this. The combination of the black and grey with the satin and the 'dirty' grey worn look of the neck really works for me. The hardware upgrades top it off and the result is simple yet stunning. I'd definitely reach for it.
Odd man out in more ways than being the only guitar plus the only headless entry this month. For a non-traditional Steinberger Headless this shape looks rather cool, particularly so in the matte grey finish. Timber finished neck looks good but if mine I would have been tempted to do it the same matte grey. Upgrades make sense with that headstock/nut assembly looking a much better setup.
Bridge and nut upgrades are definite improvements. The matte grey suits the futuristic shape.

Brendan
11-11-2019, 06:02 AM
And the runner up - close margin, but congratulations to Metal Rulez 4ever's TB5-JF.
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32528&d=1571476190

And the winner - take a bow PJSprog's KH-1 - clean lines, satin finish - beautiful!
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32617&d=1572481610

PJSprog
11-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Wow, thanks, guys. Definitely didn't see that coming.

DarkMark
11-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Nice work everyone. I don’t think I would pick any of these as, ‘home made.’

FrankenWashie
11-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Congrats all on some stunning build work, Extended congratulations to PJS and Naim for the gongs, fantastic work fellas!

Andy40
11-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Holy smoke well done guys such beautiful guitars

wazkelly
14-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Top effort from all entrants and congrats to PJSprog & Naim.

Barfly1959
16-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Congratulations guys. Great builds and worthy winners! :D