PDA

View Full Version : October GOTM

Brendan
01-09-2019, 09:56 AM
October Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in September)

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars October Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) the end of September.

One guitar/bass per member per month.
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable).
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable.

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for closes at the end of September (Perth Western Australian time).

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well have the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the 'Wow Factor'· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!

Brendan
11-09-2019, 11:25 PM
First entry for the month from Lukie69 - a dual humbucker SG with clear pickguard.

Brendan
11-09-2019, 11:25 PM
And a closeup of the headstock...

step1507
12-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Hey Everyone

I've finally finished the second Christmas present for my daughters, this one's aright handed ST-1, again, I've tried to make it as personalised as possible without it being tacky :). This one's also basically stock, apart from the black pickguard and tremolo cover (again I went with the "Gilmore Black Strat" look with the pickups and controls)
the finish is also DNA Custom Paints, colour shift this time in "Red Rush" (Red/Bronze/Green), over a black base, with lots of clear over the top

Again, the name of the guitar "Starfish", was her childhood nick name (she's also now in her 20s :))

hope you all like it

Stephen

step1507
12-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Hears some more photos

The whole package

And my Nomination photo for "Father of the Year" :D

JohnH
13-09-2019, 05:37 AM
That red colour shift looks amazing Stephen

stansby40
22-09-2019, 02:20 PM
TL-1AR (alder) kit with the following upgrades:
Grover locking tuners
Bone Nut
Wilkinson Bridge
Wiring Upgrade Kit
Benson Custom Overwound Bridge Pickup, Benson Custom Vintage Neck Pickup
Two string tees

Body painted with white rattle cans from Supacheap. Body finished with clear acrylic lacquer also from Supacheap but sprayed with a spray gun.

Neck stained with F&W golden teak and finished with tru oil.

My first telecaster (have been a gibson man until now) and I am very happy how it plays and sounds.

Brendan
23-09-2019, 08:35 PM
From Mike Gordon:
This is my build #2. A TLA12-F Ash Tele 12 string
Customised easy access neck joint, scratch plates, jack socket input and belly route.
Coil tapped Spear humbucker in neck and coil tapped bridge pick up.
24 coats wipe on gloss poly and 5 coats wax to body
24 coats truoil to neck.

Brendan
23-09-2019, 08:36 PM
And some more images.

Daniel Lee
28-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Here's my ES-5V. I removed the laminated top and hand-carved a new X-braced solid top from a fine piece of super-straight grained Engelmann Spruce, and then cut some botanic motif sound holes. I also added a side-port sound hole. I veneered the head-stock with quilted maple. All the hardware is Gold plated and I fitted Grover Imperial tuners and a Kent Armstrong floating pickup. It is finished with with a very thin coat of satin clear after a light yellow-sunburst (only on the front) to allow the best acoustic resonance. 3231732318323193232032316

Brendan
02-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Comp closed. New one soon.

Brendan
11-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Ok comments are in:
Lukie69's AG-1
interesting choice of colours. The clear pickguard looks good.
Interesting colour choices. Personally the mix of gold, chrome and clear hardware isn’t really my taste. But the finish seems good, & it is eye catching.
Interesting colour combinations, like two different guitars. I love the black back and worn dusty neck - that really works for me. The appeals more than I expected, but I don't think the photos do it justice. Clear plastics are a nice and unusual addition on an SG.
Interesting burst. Nicely done and finished. Not sure that the chrome, gold and clear bling does it for me, but still a credible and worthy entrant.

Step1507's ST-1
love the colour shift paint. Also nice touch with the engraved neckplate and headstock logos. Think your daughter will love it, well done ! I just noticed there was two guitars with a case filled with goodies, top job !
Another beautiful finish and the tuxedo plastics work well with the colour. Nice headstock and decals, plus the engraved neck plate is again a refined touch. Very nice build.
Another really well finished guitar. A bit subtler that your previous one, but up to the same high standard.
Nicely done – the colour shifting paint gives an amazing outcome. Great intent and purpose in the guitar.

Stansby40's TL-1AR
nice job on the white paint and stained headstock work well together. Nice upgrades too !
Finish looks great. A simple white masterpiece.
Love a good white TL, and this is no exception. Really nice finish complemented by the black scratchplate and chrome hardware. The Golden Teak is perhaps a touch stronger than I'd like, but it's growing on me. Great Build.
Love the classic nature – black on white. Looks like a flawless finish as well.

Mike Gordon's TLA12-F
nicely finished 12 string tele and interesting control cover pattern. With 6 ferrules at the back I presume the other 6 strings must be top loaded ? Only negative is you put a curved neck plate/curved neck pocket on and didn't shape the neck heel to suit the shape. Otherwise top looking build
It’s green, it's a 12 string, you can see your reflection in it. I’m sure the pick guard will have it’s haters, but I love it
TL 12's are always something special. I love the natural back and neck with beautiful green top, really nice. Great finish and nice mods, a really amazing looking guitar. The pickguard doesn't quite work for me, not sure if it's the two parts and/or the pattern, but it's an interesting choice and certainly different.
Awesome work on the flames – great effect overall. Love how you’ve gone minimalist with the pickguard, though I find the pattern distracting from the finish and flamage on the front. Nicely finished otherwise.

Daniel Lee's ES-5V
nice mods and cutouts look great. The sunburst top looks good too. Looks like there is a headstock veneer as well ? nice looking axe !
Another major rebuild this month. Incredible work. The aesthetic of the yellow burst and the gold hardware doesn’t quite work for me, but you have done an amazing job.
Another ambitious and frighteningly comprehensive rebuild and re-imagining of a kit. The work involved and boldness, wow. Beautiful headstock and I love the soundholes. I think lemon burst may be a little strong compared to the natural centre (just the photos maybe?), but both will probably mellow over time. The back and sides work nicely with the overall look. Amazing work.
Love how you can take a simple kit and rebuild it to look something very special. Awesome work again!

Brendan
11-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Runner up first - or should I say runners up!
Congratulations Stansby40 for your TL-1AR and Daniel Lee for your ES-5V - both awesome in their own ways. One with a flawless finish, the other with an amazing amount of customisation and personalisation.
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32239&stc=1&d=1569132893
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32316&d=1569638704

And the winner - congratulations Step1507 for your ST-1!
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32153&d=1568277809

Brendan
13-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Well done to all last month - any takers for November?

step1507
16-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Wow thanks so much guys, very much appreciate the feedback as well.
As I've said before now I just have to figure out how to get them up to Brisbane from Melbourne in one piece (I feel a road trip coming on ;) )

cheers
Stephen

Andy40
21-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Beautiful builds, nice work guys