PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading TL-1 with a 4 way lever switch?

WeTheNorth
11-08-2019, 06:37 PM
Hi folks,

Would you know based on experience whether the routed cavity on the TL-1 is deep enough should one consider to fit in a 4-way lever switch?

Cheers.

Bakersdozen
11-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Hi folks,

Would you know based on experience whether the routed cavity on the TL-1 is deep enough should one consider to fit in a 4-way lever switch?

Cheers.Can't comment on the TL-1, but it did fit in my JTL-1. What you have to watch for if it does fit or you edit the route to accept it is...

The slot on the control plate for the switch may not have enough travel for the extended throw of the 4way switch. I was scratching my head for ages trying to figure out why the end 2 positions were not engaging properly. I had to file out to extend the slot at both ends until the switch was able to reach its full throw. Not much only a few mm each side by memory.

McCreed
12-08-2019, 08:45 AM
My TLA-1 required deepening of the cavity to fit a proper blade switch (CRL, Gotoh, Oak Grigsby).
There was plenty of wood to do this but you want to be sure to have enough clearance so none of the solder lugs make contact with cavity if it's shielded.

Also worth noting, that the cavity is too narrow to accommodate full size (24mm) pots, if you're looking to upgrade those as well. Again, there's enough timber there to to do it and still be covered by the control plate.

Further to what Bakersdozen said, when you file the switch lever slot, file it from the front (the shiny chrome side) and only file in the direction away from you. This will minimise the risk of flaking the chrome plating (or nickel whatever).

A small flat jeweller's file with teeth on the sides works great for this. Even one from a cheap set will work. The control plates are typically soft brass that's plated.

Rossc0
12-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Mixed messages. I managed to fit a 4 way Oak Grigsby in my TL1 without issue. Did need to make space for the bigger pots though.