PDA

View Full Version : A Johnny Ramone - Mosrite Ventures II headstock. Dimensions/drawing?

ONSatan
27-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Hi,
I’ve got some questions that I hope someone can help me with while I’m sitting here anxiously awaiting the Pitbull Mosrite MK 2 kit to be shipped.

Looking at pictures of the MK 2 kit indicates that it is a fair replica/inspiration but that the headstock is far off. I WANT to make an as exact copy of the Johnny Ramone Mosrite Ventures 2 as possible.

So, is there anyone out there that has a drawing, the dimensions etc of the real headstock? PLEASE email me or put the information here (if OK)! The headstock of Johnny’s guitar seems a lot less wide and maybe even longer (?) than what I will get as default in my Pitbull kit. I guess that I also will have to move the tuners (plug the holes and put on a veneer?).

The reason for me building this kit is that I’m a long time Ramones nut. The Ramones album Leave Home that my bigger sister was playing when I was a kid was the reason why I stole (and destroyed) my mother’s beautiful Levin guitar from like 1920…

Anyhow, my goal is to build THE Ramones tribute guitar! It should be a tribute guitar for not only the band Ramones but especially to Johnny AND to his Mosrite. His white Venture II has always been my dream guitar and now I’m about to make an as exact copy as possible. I’ve already ordered the right FS-1 pickup, autographs from the original members (to be put into the finish of the guitar), headstock decal etc.

When ready, I’ll put the guitar on my mail wall in the house and I’ll look at it when I eat, listen to music, watch TV, sit at the fire place, make music etc AND I will take it down to occasionally hammer out Blitzkrieg, Commando and I’m against it on it…

(I do have other guitars that (so far) are my stds for both making, recording and playing music. This guitar is intended to be the center piece of my home)

I’ve never BUILD a guitar before. I have intentionally and unintentionally wrecked a couple but this will be my first build. As an example, it took me 6 weeks to destroy the enclosed Fender Stratocaster until it was “ready for live gigs” … :-) The first drag in the asphalt WAS painful! Now I will work the other way around and the end result should be perfect without any “relicing”!

Anyhow, sorry for all this words, hope you understand that I am passionate about building this guitar and hope that you will help med (drawings/dimensions of the headstock k and later building tips).

ONSatan
28-04-2019, 01:53 AM
Hi again,
I have spent the day studying pictures of the Mosrite headstock and the headstock in the Pitbull kit and it is pretty obvious that I will somehow have to make the provided headstock ”longer”.

What will be the best way to do this (i.e. to prolong the provided headstock)?

I’m planning to put maple veneer on top and bottom of the headstock to hide the old tuner holes (these has also to be moved).
What if I “just” saw of the headstock somewhere in the middle between top and the new hole for the G-string and then glue the headstock to veneer but leave some 25mm/an inch “gap”, fill this gap gluing in a piece of wood (in best case Maple) and then glue veneer to the other side of the headstock? I would then have enough material to get the correct shape and length.

Would that be “doable” (I’m no luthier and far better destroying than building stuff)?

I don’t think I would have to worry about strength as this cut will be at least 15mm away from the nearest tuning peg.

Judging from pictures, I will also have to make the headstock more narrow/less wide, but that must be much easier that prolonging it… ?

Any tips? Any drawings/dimensions?

king casey
28-04-2019, 06:20 PM
Hi again,
I have spent the day studying pictures of the Mosrite headstock and the headstock in the Pitbull kit and it is pretty obvious that I will somehow have to make the provided headstock ”longer”.

There's a fair shot of one here... Ringwood...hmmm probably an hour's drive.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ringwood-east/guitars-amps/2003-mosrite-mark-ii-official-johnny-ramone-signature-ramones/1215561861
cheers, Mark.

ONSatan
29-04-2019, 08:23 PM
There's a fair shot of one here... Ringwood...hmmm probably an hour's drive.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ringwood-east/guitars-amps/2003-mosrite-mark-ii-official-johnny-ramone-signature-ramones/1215561861
cheers, Mark.

Hi,
Thanks, that is THE guitar (and shape) I’m after!
However, 2390AUD + freight, import tax, VAT and other expenses for an import up to Sweden would force me into an unhealthy long period of noodle eating ;-)

Thanks!

/Olle