PDA

View Full Version : Bad quality ?

Snivic
24-04-2019, 03:30 AM
Recently i bought a EX-5 and a EXA-7 kit.
Whille the Bass was almost perfect ( frets were good everything fit and was working) , the guitar well no so good is an understatement...
it's been over a month of work now and it still isn't playable..

-2 tuning pegs were faulty ( they kept cutting my strings )
- the heel of the neck wasn't straight/ flush with the body
- 2 pretty big dents in the neck (from shipping i presume)
-the radius of the fretboard is wrong ( difficult to explain good but if you look at the fretboard one side is higher)
-Frets are not to the edges of the fretboard ( had to replace 4 frets that were too short)
-5 frets were not seated properly into the neck ( they were done so badly that i had to replace 2 frets)
-volume pot broken( could infinitly turn)

I have very mixed feelings, the bass was perfect but the guitar ( especially the neck) was complete rubbish.
Does it happen alot that there are factory mistakes? or is this an exeption?
The worst part is that the guitar was on back order so i had to wait long aswell before it could be shipped.

Sonic Mountain
24-04-2019, 07:28 AM
It's a shame you didn't contact Adam as soon as you noticed there was a problem. Pitbull pride themselves on their customer service so you probably could have had those issues rectified.

Generally they are pretty good at screening the kits before they go out, but occasionally there is a dud in there. It is stressed that you carefully check the kit before starting any work.

Brendan
24-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Snivic - I've contacted Adam - there are some kits that have come through with issues and the team have always bent over backwards to fix any issues one way or another. Lets give Adam a chance to respond, but he may be a little limited in what he can do if you've done work on it before letting him know of the issues.

Mr.Drifter
24-04-2019, 05:25 PM
I didn't have those issues on my exa7 tbh.
Or well, had one tuning peg that kept getting to a certain tension, then letting go. But, emailed adam, and he hooked me up. Ended up getting the gotoh upgrade kit, and it was perfect from there.

That said, I didn't use the stock electronics, bar pickups. I bought a quick change volume pot, and some other stuff, like orange capacitor, etc.

Though intonation was a bit odd. According to one shop, it was right at the end of its range to be intonated (which, didn't look like it to me, that and the same shop also filed the nut pretty uneven. One string was wildly high, and the others were much lower/ all over the show).
But, did play around with the neck positioning. Seemed like the neck being closer to the bridge was ideal, but pickup ring was in the way (thankfully I didn't place it square to the neck pickup hole, and did it just so the pickup would fit with the ring).
But, that's apparently fixed now iirc. Didn't have any issues with it outside of the store I used to set it up for me (cause I have no real idea, hah).

Might've just been slippery and missed some qc bits.
But yeah, definitely worth contacting adam first. He's great for it, and will offer support and what not.
Probably one of the best (if not the best) in regards to customer support for the import kits

Snivic
24-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Snivic - I've contacted Adam - there are some kits that have come through with issues and the team have always bent over backwards to fix any issues one way or another. Lets give Adam a chance to respond, but he may be a little limited in what he can do if you've done work on it before letting him know of the issues.
Thanks.
Alot of work has been done on the guitar, since this isn't the first guitar i did i had high confidence that i could make it work.
Saying that, i know i will get there eventually, but it's a shame that there was so much i had to do to fix it.

And like i said, the bass was perfect so i know the kits are high standard.
This one probably slipped through or something.
The dents that are going in the neck and body are least of my concern.
The radius is a pretty big issue though which i hope i can work around.

But ill wait for Adam to give his take on the situation

wazkelly
27-04-2019, 07:54 PM
Hi mate. I have built EX-5 & EX-1 as my 1st & 2nd builds.

The EX-5 had a few frets sitting high from around 14th to 18th and a couple of small dings in the rosewood fretboard but otherwise all good. I used all the stock bits to begin with and gradually upgraded everything except tuners as they seem ok. Wish I had discovered the recessed tele style jack sockets sooner as I prefer them to the oval plate that came with this kit.

When ordering the EX-1 there was an upgrade option to get the neck professionally setup and also got a bone nut upgrade too. Ticked options box for Grover locking tuners, Tonerider Alnico IV's, Bourns push/pull pots, gotoh 3 way switch, sprague orange drop, switchcraft jack socket, basically replaced everything except TOM bridge & stop tail piece. Also had same issue with neck placement but otherwise this was the best kit straight out of the box compared to 6 others I have built.

Sounds like your 7 stringer may have slipped through the QC net where neck appears to be the main issue.

Snivic
29-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Had contact with Adam and disscussed all the issues.
He thinks it should have been a factory second with all these issues.
after some back and forth email we agreed to a partial refund :)

OliSam
29-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Had contact with Adam and disscussed all the issues.
He thinks it should have been a factory second with all these issues.
after some back and forth email we agreed to a partial refund :)

Yeah. My dealings with him have always been straight up and fair. He is a straight up fair bloke.
Good luck with the rest of your builds!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk